Saturday, January 9, 2010

Pink Carnation Spotlight: Anna Madeley (Oh Pen)

Tuesday is almost upon us! So who should join my little dream miniseries world than the stars of that book... Penelope and Alex (who I forgive for the whole usurping Tommy thing). I can't wait till you all get to read the book this week. In the meantime, I hope to entertain you till that day with a little what-if casting! Here comes Pen now!

Name: Anna Madeley

Dream Character Casting for the Lauren Willig Miniseries: Lady Frederick Staines nee Miss Penelope Deveraux

First Impression: The Secret Life of Mrs. Beeton, poor Anna, she was to treated very well by J.J. Feild.

Why they'd be the perfect actor for the Lauren Willig Miniseries: She has a sweet countenance which belies her ferocity, anyone else see her in Lewis? Perfect for Pen!

Lasting Impression: Lewis... oh, so didn't see that coming! And I'm pretty darn good at figuring out these shows using a combination of general human behaviors and casting...

What else you've seen them in: From the pathetic wretch that is Betsy Quilp in The Old Curiosty Shop, to the badly bewigged David Morrissey version of Sense & Sensibility where she plays the only Lucy Steele who actually gets a beat down, she's a staple of of BBC miniseries from Beeton to Brideshead. But with turns in Crooked House, Law & Order UK and Lewis, she's not going to be pegged as just a miniseries gal.

Can't believe it's them: She was in An Unsuitable Job for a Woman? Why can't I remember her... hmmm, this might have just given me an excuse to watch the whole series again.

Wish they hadn't: Guest House Paradiso, the disastrous attempt to take the tv show Bottom to the big screen by changing all that was funny about it... sadly also stared Simon Pegg and Bill Nighy... of course I don't actually remember any of the other characters, just the awfulness that it was in general. I've thankfully blocked most of the film from my mind.

Bio: From small roles that were almost cameos, Anna has slowly built a reputation over the last decade as a fabulous actress, be it historical or more contemporary fare! I can't wait for the day she finally gets a starring vehicle, the likes of An Education... the BBC's loss would be the cinema's gain.

6 comments:

I remember watching Mrs. Beeton ages ago and had no idea she and JJ were in it. I must re-watch it, now!

And she's a good choice, I think.

Yes, I think the true test will be once people read the book this week :)

How could you have put up that comment at 1:55 AM when it's only 12:02 AM now?? Shouldn't my computer read it in my time zone? Is this a time travel thing just to freak me out, knowing how much I'm into that stuff?

P.S. My word verification is "bleck" - as in yucky. LOL

No, I am all powerful, and for the time you are on my blog, you are in my time zone, mwahahahahaha! (Look at your time stamp).

How did you pick the exact person I would have picked?!!? I was watching that Inspector Lewis episode two summers ago, while writing "Blood Lily", and jumped up exclaiming, "There she is! That's Penelope!"

Well done, Miss Eliza, well done.

I have a very vague recollection of a conversation on your site we had regarding that episode of Lewis on Mystery and it must have stuck because she popped into my head the second I started reading it! I just love Anna Madeley!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home