You really didn't think I'd forget about Charles Dickens this year did you? I mean, really!?! There are very few writers who have endured and who will continue to endure like Charles Dickens. Hundreds of years from now, I have no doubt, people will still know who he is, many of them grumbling high school students, but still, people will remember him. To most, he represents an entire time and place in history. He is Victorian London, hence many people calling it Dickensian London. Two hundred years after his birth, the love of his writing has not slacked in the least. Two hundred years! Just think of that! Dickens lived to be 58 years old, and his legacy has lived for almost 4 times the span of his life, so far.
Therefore, taking two months of the bicentenary year of his birth seems small potatoes. Also, I did chose the most Dickensian months, really it was planned, not just me going, damn, two months to fill, what to do, what to do. Ok, maybe it was a little of that, but, I mean really, Christmas has Dickens written all over it, A Christmas Carol, hello! So let's have a little Boz Birthday Bonanza! (Boz was an early pen name of Dickens fyi.) So, there's going to be author profiles, book reviews, movie reviews, miniseries reviews, you name it, you've got it. Also, of course, the obligatory giveaway, below. Might just have to buy that book for myself... so, sit back, be thankful you have a belly full of food and a warm place to call home and a roaring fire, it's time to discuss Dickens.
Terry Pratchett's Dodger, where Dickens himself appears as a character!
"A storm. Rain-lashed city streets. A flash of lightning. A scruffy lad sees a girl leap desperately from a horse-drawn carriage in a vain attempt to escape her captors. Can the lad stand by and let her be caught again? Of course not, because he's . . . Dodger.
Seventeen-year-old Dodger may be a street urchin, but he gleans a living from London's sewers, and he knows a jewel when he sees one. He's not about to let anything happen to the unknown girl—not even if her fate impacts some of the most powerful people in England.
From Dodger's encounter with the mad barber Sweeney Todd to his meetings with the great writer Charles Dickens and the calculating politician Benjamin Disraeli, history and fantasy intertwine in a breathtaking account of adventure and mystery.
Beloved and bestselling author Sir Terry Pratchett combines high comedy with deep wisdom in this tale of an unexpected coming-of-age and one remarkable boy's rise in a complex and fascinating world. breathtaking account of adventure and mystery."
1. Open to EVERYONE, just because you haven't been following me all along doesn't mean you don't matter, you just get more entries if you prove you love me by following.
2. Please make sure I have a way to contact you if your name is drawn, either your blogger profile or a link to your website/blog or you could even include your email address with your comment(s).
3. Giveaway ends Monday, December 31st at 11:59PM CST
4. How to enter:
Answer me this: Who is your favorite character in all of Dickens?
- +1 for answering the question above
- +2 for becoming a follower
- +10 if you are already a follower
- +10 for each time you advertise this contest - blog post, sidebar, twitter (please @eliza_lefebvre), etc. (but you only get credit for the first post, so tweet all you like, and I thank you for it, but you'll only get the +10 once). Also please leave a link! There's a handy code on the side for your sidebars!
- +25 if you comment on any of the posts during Dickensian Denouement, with something other than "I hope I win" or a variation thereof.