Tuesday, April 1, 2014

An Excess of Chicks: Chick Lit Month

When I was trying to define Chick Lit for myself awhile back, this is what I came up with:

chick lit [chick lit] – noun
  1. a genre of fiction concentrating on young working women and their emotional lives
  2. addresses issues of modern womanhood, often humorously and lightheartedly
  3. Bridget Jones is every woman, so where’s my Darcy?
  4. perfect for a theme month on my blog
So, while #3 is most important to me personally, I'll be addressing #4 here. That's right, Chick Lit Month is here! Why do a month to Chick Lit? Well, really, why not? In fact, why haven't I before is the real question of the day... The truth is, whenever I've been down and need a book that will wrap me in a warm duvet and take my cares away while spooning ice cream into my mouth, I have turned to this genre as a comfort read. Too much reality, too much bringing me down, where's Bridget Jones. Been on a glut of reading science fiction and fantasy and want something more like a contemporary fantasy, Chick Lit is there! From Helen Fielding and Bridget Jones to Sophie Kinsella and Becky Bloomwood, there's a world of ladies out there to entertain and enliven our lives while taking us out of our own for awhile. You'll learn how a failed theatre production lead to me meeting Bridget Jones (cough, read the Bridget Jones's Diary Review tomorrow, cough.) This meeting was fate. Bridget opened me to a whole new world of literature and set me firmly on the path to the bibliomaniac that I am today. Bridget changed me, and this theme month is the least I can do in tribute. But seriously, where has my Mr. Darcy gotten to?

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home