Sunday, November 22, 2009

Spotlight: Rafe Spall

I'm starting a new recurring post where I'll be spotlighting the actors and actresses I love the most. Some will be well known, others well known to those who frequently watch the BBC like me. But all the best at what they do! I'll discuss where I first saw them, what made them finally memorable to me, taking them out of the ranks of, "you know that actor in part three of that miniseries" to me actually remembering their name and looking for it in upcoming productions. I will also have a, I didn't realize it was them segment, were apon rewatching a series I will have the "by jove" moment where I realize I knew them longer than I thought I did. There will also be the occasional, I wish they hadn't done that, as well as the obligatory bio and what to look forward to. So here goes, the premiere post of "Spotlight!" Which I thought I'd give a Desperate Romantics slant, because that's what I'm immersed in currently.

Name: Rafe Spall

First Impression: One of the two Andy's in Hot Fuzz, cause talking to them is always an uphill battle. Also great sunglasses.

Lasting Impression: George Emerson in Andrew Davies' A Room With a View (watch it if you haven't seen it!)

What else you've seen them in: From The Chatterly Affair to Dracula, to Wide Sargasso Sea to Desperate Romantics, Rafe has made a name for himself in the costume dramas. But his talents aren't just limited to waistcoats and corsets... he's also stared in more modern period pieces, such as the biopic of Frankie Howerd with David Walliams, and the gritty He Kills Coppers. There is also the modern fair of Hot Fuzz and Cracker.

Can't believe it's them: Remember that really chunky no necked employee at Shaun's work in Shaun of the Dead? That was, surprisingly Rafe Spall! I still can't believe that the tall, good looking man who's been a focal point in recent miniseries is the same as that chunky acne ridden teen who gets turned into a zombie!

Wish they hadn't: Kidulthood... not that it's bad, it's just written by my nemesis, Mickey Smith from Doctor Who, aka Noel Clarke.

Bio: Acting must run in his veins, because his father is none other than Peter Pettigrew, Timothy Spall. In fact his father co-stared with him in A Room with a View as his character's father, Mr. Emerson.

7 comments:

Was he in A Room With a View with Helena Bonham Carter? I think I remember him. I love this feature!

No, Julian Sands was in that version, he was in the more recent version. He's only like 25 years old, so he would have been waaaay to young to play George Emerson in the 80s.

I thought he might be related to Timothy Spall, now I know, thanks. I also love British drama.

Now where's the homage to Richard Armitage? :D

Oh my delicious, stalwart John Thornton, where art thou? Why hast Elizabeth forsaken thee?

Would I ever let you down?

Here it is, early just for you!

Go Oggle!

I just now started watching Green Street Hooligans (just Hooligans in the UK) again, and there's Rafe Spall! The timing is creepy-cool.

He's EVERYWHERE! He's really funny as Manic in Desperate Romantics.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home