Thursday, December 3, 2009

Not Trying to Be Good - Book Buying Sprees November

So here is the breakdown of my book buying breakdown of the month. It wasn't as bad as past months, though a few of the items were a bit more on the pricey side, but I'd been looking for them for awhile. As I see it, if it's on my list of books that I'm looking for (yes, I have a list, it's alphabetized and in my wallet, and no that's not strange) then I allow myself the splurge, seeing as I usually hunt for bargains on everything else. Also I went to a library sale... there were many books purchased there not on this list... but I only spent $20 and a lot of them are for all you, my lovely blog readers. That's right, I was stocking up on giveaways as I stocked up on Elizabeth Peters novels for myself. Anyway... onto the list of damages:

1) 84 Charing Cross Road and The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street by Helene Hanff - I can't believe I finally found The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street!!! I can give my friend back her copy and stop drooling over the $40 editions online. I found mine at a quirky downtown bookstore for $7! $14 for the pair.

2) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - I can't help it, I see pretty leather bound editions that are to those mega sets through the Easton Press and I have to buy it! $50.

3) The Man with Two Left Feet by P.G. Wodehouse - FREE! Went to Borders the other day and spent all this time trying to decide if I should get the final volume I needed to complete my Jeeves and Wooster collection seeing as I'm short on funds. The book obviously won, I don't know why I thought it could be otherwise... so I get to the register and I somehow have $25 in Borders bucks! Free book! Score!

4) A Touch of Dead by Charlaine Harris - From my friends at Murder by the Book, signed to me at her big Huston event this past month.

5) Grave Secret by Charlaine Harris - Again my friends in Huston don't let me down. There was also another author there who I got a book from, but seeing as one of my friends reads this blog I don't want to spoil her Christmas present. Needless to say, it too was awesome!

6) New York Public Library Editions: O Pioneers! and Other Tales of the Prairie by Willa Cather, Up from Slavery by Booker T. Washington and Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman - I have a confession... I covet these New York Public Library Editions! When they were released quite a few years back I wanted them and didn't get them and then they went out of print as books I like tend to do. I've spent many years hunting down a complete set. My friend Matt can attest to the weird maniacal glee that happened earlier this summer when at Half Priced Books I found half the set in mint condition for sale. After these three I only need Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, with a dust jacket... I found a crap edition but still I hope. Decently priced, I got a sweet deal on one and another was a little overpriced, so it balanced out.

7) Lady Macbeth's Daughter by Lisa Klein - I've really been wanting this but didn't feel justified spending the money and then I found it for $5.

8) The Pale Assassin by Patricia Elliot - Found at Frugal Muse for $5, didn't realize until after I bought it that it was the same Patricia Elliot who wrote the book Murkmeer which I loved, the cover almost more than the book.

9) Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte - The Twlight Tie-In Edition. I can't help it, I don't like the Stephenie Meyer books but their design is brilliant, so at least this is a book I love designed the same. Plus only $4.

10) The Case of the Missing Servant: A Vish Puri Mystery by Tarquin Hall - It looks so fun and I found it for $6!

6 comments:

Have fun reading them!

Ooh, I'm jealous of Lady Macbeth's Daughter!! Enjoy!

That's it. I'm moving where you are for the bookstores.

Madison is freakishly good for used bookstores... there are... 8 really good ones within 15 mintues of my house...might be more, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

I wonder what the Twilight set will make of Wuthering Heights? It is one of my all time favourites. 8 second hand bookshops close by, you have no idea how jealous that makes me. Happy reading!

Not to mention there was a library sale today...

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home