Monday, October 26, 2009

A Spooky Week Ahead!

Well, I've been holding out the best October has to offer till the very end. For the lead up to Halloween I have some wonderful treats in store! Tricks...not so much, but I might think of something.

With us this week I am honored to present the author Michael Norman. Perhaps you've caught him on the Discovery Channel, he's been on a few haunted castle documentaries hosted by Robert Hardy (Cornelius Fudge to you). Or Perhaps you've seen him on late night cable being interviewed by Space Ghost? Or maybe you've passed his books in Barnes & Noble? But after today I'm going to make sure you know who Michael Norman is! (That's if you don't already.) He's the king of ghost stories, having written the popular Haunted America series of true ghost stories. Haunted Wisconsin was published in 1979 and since then he has written six more books centering on the supernatural, all still in print! He's my "blogman" of the month, and I couldn't think of a better canidite for such a spooky phantasmagorical time of year than this veteran ghost hunter. He is currently "running hither and yon promoting The Nearly Departed," his newest book for the Minnesota Historical Society, but he'll be stopping by later this week for an in-depth Q&A with such important questions as his favorite all time Halloween costume. But in the meantime...a new competition!

Mike has generously offered up a signed and inscribed copy of his latest book to the winner. Let us take a quick look at this wonderful prize:

The Nearly Departed: Minnesota Ghost Stories and Legends by Michael Norman
Published by: Minnesota Historical Society Press
Publication Date: September 1, 2009
Format: Paperback, 304 Pages
To Order

The official patter:
"Everyone loves a good ghost story.

Phantoms of the Paramount, Shadows on Third Avenue, The Legend of Ann Lake, The Boy in the Red Cap. Veteran ghost hunter Michael Norman has uncovered almost three dozen stories of legitimate Minnesota eeriness to thrill readers. Norman, author of five nationally popular collections of ghost tales, interviewed local storytellers and combed newspapers to document legends involving supernatural and strange occurrences. Following old and fresh leads, he gathered stories from all over the state.

Ghost stories have existed as long as humans have been telling tales. Perhaps they rise from our curiosity about what happens to us and our loved ones after death, perhaps they explain phenomena that we do not understand, or maybe, just maybe, the dead do walk the earth. Norman does not attempt to prove or disprove the existence of ghosts but instead allow readers to make up their own minds. his tales feature people's strange and paranormal experiences in quite ordinary places, including homes, theaters, B&Bs, and restaurants. Many of the engaging and hair-raising accounts involve strange and frightening incidents of the last fifty years; some tales document very recent unexplainable or spectral events. The book includes a list of sites open to the public and documents the hauntings' locations–from Taylors Falls and Pipestone to Northfield and Nobles County–for Minnesotan who may want to "pass through" the sites.

Beware: these stories do not have conclusive endings, since they remain mysteries to this day. but perhaps that's best. An ending would just take the fun out of it."

THIS COMPETITION NOW CLOSED

Prize:
The Nearly Departed: Minnesota Ghost Stories signed and inscribed by the author, Michael Norman

Question:
What was you favorite Halloween costume? (Come back later in the week to find out Mike's answer!)

The Rules:
1. Open to EVERYONE (worldwide), and just because you haven't been following me all along doesn't mean you don't matter.
2. Please make sure I have a way to contact you if your name is drawn, either your blogger profile or a link to your website/blog or you could even include your email address with your comment(s).
3. Contest ends Saturday, November 7th at 11:59AM CST
4. How to enter: Just post below
5. And for those addicted to getting extra entries:

+1 for answering the question above
+2 for becoming a follower
+5 if you are already a follower
+10 for each time you advertise this contest - blog post, sidebar, twitter (please @MzLizard), etc. (but you only get credit for the first post at each site, so tweet all you like, and I thank you for it, but you'll only get the +10 once). Also please leave a link!

12 comments:

This sounds like a great spooky read. Please enter me.
+5 current follower

zenfoxflowerATyahooDOTcom
Elie (Ellz Readz)

Sounds cool. Please include me.

+1 Black Cat
+5 Already a follower
+10 linked on sidebar here: http://donnasbloghome.blogspot.com/

bacchus76 at myself dot com

+1 Catholic schoolgirl
+5 already a follower

I love ghost stories!

misfitsalon [at] gmail [dot] com

This comment has been removed by the author.

Just found your blog so just became a follower :)

My fav. costume, hmmm - I think the year I was a punk rocker - LOL showing my age here - but my parents would NEVER let me do ANYTHING to my hair or wear short skirts, so that year I did both - I spiked my hair, and colored it and wore a VERY short skirt LOL

Jaz.Trio@verizon.net

The book sounds awesome, LOVE a good ghost story!

Oooh...
+1 I was Capt. Sally Goldwench once...
+5 follower
+10 sidebar link @ Book Rat

~Misty
mbradenwf@gmail.com

This sounds great and my sister would LOVE it.

+1 Mine was probably being Hermione Granger, b/c I never usually did unique costumes like it. It was like a clown or something. haha


+5 already following


lauren
lauren51990 AT aol DOT com

This sounds like a great book, I love ghost stories.

+1 My favorite costume -- the year I dressed up as a horse -- I think I was supposed to be the Black Stallion :-)

+2 for becoming a follower

marielay@gmail.com

+I'm already a follower
+1 my favorite costume was when I wore pink fluffy boots. I have no idea what I was though

Dey@mts.net

thankyou!!

+5 follower
+1 If we would dress up for halloween at Finland I would have dressed up as a vampire.

Sounds great. Please enter me.
+1 princess
+5 already a follower

dlodden at frontiernet dot net

This sounds like a great book! Would love to win it. My favorite costume was a really weird witch costume.
+1 Question
+2 New follower
susan.byerly@comcast.net

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home