Friday, August 13, 2021

Dash & Lily

Dash and Lily is the perfect cute Christmas series for literary and culture nerds of my generation. That being people born from 1977 to 1982, and no, we are NOT Gen X OR Millennial, we are are own thing so STOP trying to force us into one or the other. Also don't even get me started on Millennials, because really shouldn't they be people born around the millennium not those who graduated high school around the millennium? Would Buffy like to be called a Millennial? Hell no! So maybe I'll just call myself a child of the eighties and leave it at that. The reason I say this show is perfect for people of my generation is that the jokes and references don't work for high school students. The Home Alone jokes in particular work for those who grew up with these films and the cultural impact they had when they were released, which would not apply to kids who were born at least twelve years after the film's release. This isn't an uncommon problem with television shows, Veronica Mars was a big perpetrator of culture references that were out of date. My friend with whom I binge watched the entire first season of Veronica Mars in a day with was the first to point out this oddity to me. Veronica was always giving off quips that would make more sense to someone not in high school. This isn't so pressing anymore if you were to watch it now because all the references are out of date, but at the time it was like an itch you couldn't scratch. I think it just comes from having a writing room that isn't the same age as their characters. I mean David Levithan and Rachel Cohn, whose book this is based on, are firmly Gen X. The only other writer whose age I could discover is also Gen X. The three other writers appear to be far younger, but the truth is this could have been fixed with just having the characters be a little older. Make them in their late twenties and all is solved! See!?! Now I will only complain about the fact that doing product placement for the new Leigh Bardugo series doesn't mean her book should be out of alphabetical order at The Strand! Wait, I will also question how someone into fantasy would never have heard of The Chronicles of Narnia

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home