Friday, August 6, 2021

Behind Her Eyes

I'm that person who picks apart a show as I'm watching it. What is happening, who is to blame. I don't just want to get to the bottom of it all before the reveal, I need to. So while I actually got the ending of Behind Her Eyes wrong I was technically right. Confusing no? But that's what Behind Her Eyes is all about. It's about gobbling up each and every clue you're given and trying to piece together the puzzle until at the end you didn't quite see it coming because it changed the rules while you weren't fully aware that it did. The show starts out with the classic comedy trope, what if you met a handsome stranger at a bar and you find out the next day he's your new boss? That's exactly what happens to Louise. The problem is her connection to David is electric. It doesn't matter that David is married, that Louise even ends up befriending his wife Adele behind his back, they are drawn to each other like magnets. Though Louise suspects that David doesn't understand his wife, but, for me, I knew from day one that Adele was the problem and David was right. Why else would she be so closely monitored and medicated by her husband? It didn't feel like control to me, it felt like barely maintained equilibrium. But while a three-hander show about infidelity isn't that original, this show has something else going for it, lucid dreaming. Yes, it might seem odd that the other aspect of a show about a torrid affair would be about lucid dreaming, but that's what sets this show apart. I have known about lucid dreaming as a cure for night terrors for years. But I'm actually able to exert some control in my dreams anyway and I'm not full into night terrors, but the possibility of complete control over your sleeping mind has always been interesting to me. So while Louise's dreams are kind of cartoonishly bad and then cartoonishly good, I mean, they're happy and Disney and she's in the land of the Teletubbies where there are no shadows... this is all leading somewhere deeper. It's not about the first door, it's about the second door. And it's all about Adele's past and her friend Rob who she met in rehab. Rob is the key. He's also an amazing actor. In a show with such a strong cast that boasts Tom Bateman and Eve Hewson, well, it's impressive that Robert Aramayo stands out. And yes, his real name is Rob too!

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home