Friday, May 6, 2022

Book Review - Lauren Willig's The Temptation of the Night Jasmine

The Temptation of the Night Jasmine by Lauren Willig
Published by: NAL
Publication Date: January 22nd, 2009
Format: Paperback, 464 Pages
Rating: ★★★★★
To Buy

Charlotte has been waiting at Girdings for her knight in shining armor to come, just like those glorious murals on the walls depicting her ancestors bravely battling their foes on long forgotten battlefields or in the books she consumes copiously. She even has her own dragon with her grandmother, the Dowager Duchess of Dovedale. In fact, she's not the only one who would compare her grandmother to a fire-breathing monster, but no one would dare say that to her grandmother's face. Then on Christmas Eve, out of the snow, Robert returns. Fleeing the family home for India all those years ago, the Duke of Dovedale returns like a knight returning from a long crusade in the Holy Land. Charlotte instantly starts picturing her world in that special rose tinted way with a happy ending of hunting unicorns with jam tarts and kissing Robert in the sun, never mind it's bleak midwinter and her grandmother has surrounded her with rogues and dimwits in a final attempt to marry her off. The worst of the lot being Sir Francis Medmenham, descendant of the nefarious founder of the Hellfire Club. But why did Robert return? Is he here to court fair maiden? Or does he have darker designs... He has taken to Medmenham rather fast. The course of true love never ran smooth, especially when misunderstandings abound. If Robert had just talked to Charlotte maybe things would have gone better... Because Robert is out for revenge but he can't let the fair maiden know of his deceit. Breaking her heart for her own good, Robert sinks deeper into Medmenham's world while Charlotte is bustled off to court to wait on the Queen. But following a startling discovery and evidence that the King is going mad once again, Charlotte takes on her own adventure for King and Country. Could it be that Robert's nemesis and the men behind Charlotte's uncovered plot are connected? If only through libraries and boat rides and dark tunnels used for darker purposes Charlotte and Robert could work together and not fret about what ifs, might-have-beens, and almost kisses. Maybe they could save England.

If I were a fictional character who lived in Regency England, there is no doubt in my mind that I'd be Charlotte. During Lauren's Monthly Zoom Read Along I could see in the comments so many of the other bookish Pink fans were declaring how much they were like Charlotte. And I totally believe them. Who else but modern Charlottes would be geeking out over an author holding a monthly Zoom book club for a series that ended years and years ago? Though there is something I would disagree with. Everyone loved reading a book that had a character they so identified with. Me, not so much. See, I read books to escape. I like to read about other people and places, and yes, I get a kick out of it when I see someone who I can relate to, but the problem isn't relating to Charlotte, it is being her. I don't want to read a book about myself. And The Temptation of the Night Jasmine is the closest I've ever come to reading about myself. Now sadly a Robert hasn't shown up and there's a distinct lack of jam tarts at the moment but that is thankfully balanced by the lack of spies and Hellfire Clubs. Whenever I re-read the whole Pink Carnation series this is the book that is always my stumbling block. I just can't get into it because I'm not going away from myself but towards myself, if that makes sense. But at the same time this is a book that for one perfect moment I fell into so deeply I was literally in it. The first time I read The Temptation of the Night Jasmine, fall of 2008 if you're interested in knowing, I went full Thursday Next and fell into it. The scene in the book is right after dinner when Charlotte takes Robert up onto the roof of Girdings. The chill air, the friendly statuary, the kiss. I. WAS. THERE. It was beyond freaky. I usually never see action, even in my dreams, from my point of view, but as an outside observer, but there I was, fully in this book. I expected Robert to ask what I was doing there. Thankfully it didn't get that weird. But all these experiences mean I'm the most ambivalent about The Temptation of the Night Jasmine than any other Pink book... But that doesn't mean for an instant I don't love it. But like the love you have for an Aunt that can sometimes really annoy you. Oh, or the love you have for a dragon of a grandmother?

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home