Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Short Story Review - Lauren Willig's Bunny & Biscuits: A Very Dorrington Valentine's Day

Bunny and Biscuits: A Very Dorrington Valentine’s Day by Lauren Willig
Publication Date: February 14th, 2012
Format: Kindle
Rating: ★★★★★
To Read

Some couples lives entirely change when they enter the married state. Some couples aren't Miles and Henrietta. Not very much has changed since they were forced into wedded bliss. Their day to day lives are basically the same except for the simple fact that they share a bed. This starts to trouble Miles. He worries that Hen doesn't realize how much he actually loves her. What with the Duke of Dovedale putting on a huge production in front of the King and asking for Charlotte's hand Miles is worried that he should have done something equally grand for Henrietta. She is after all Charlotte's dear friend, who knows, was she jealous of that elaborate profession of love? Why didn't Miles think of using the King himself? Thankfully they are attending Penelope's wedding to Freddy where love will be the furthest thing from everyone's mind. Especially once Henrietta has a run in with a certain Gardener. Oh, he just pisses her off royally. He's so smug and so French. Hen begs Miles to chase after Penelope to warn her about a spy called the Marigold. It's very important. So important that Miles's attempt ends him in the drink. He literally ran after a ship that had already sailed. But that's how crazy he is about Hen. He'd do anything for her. In fact, he'd heard about this Saint Valentines chap and had decided to surprise his wife with champagne and flowers and foodstuffs, mmm, ginger biscuits. But she had asked him to chase down a ship. So without any hemming or hawing, or at least very little, he was willing to postpone his big declaration of love because that's how much he loves her. And now he's pretty sure he knows that she feels the same way. They were meant for each other. That's why it's been so easy. Well, relatively easy.

Bunny and Biscuits holds a very very special place in my heart. In 2012 the most favorite of Lauren’s couples, voted on by the readers, was to get a Valentine’s Day novella. The much loved Miles and Henrietta Dorrington, stars of The Masque of the Black Tulip, trounced the competition. One day I was trolling Lauren's site, as I do, and I noticed that the time had come to name the upcoming story. Everyone was throwing out flowery names, but I literally had an instant of pure clarity, and Bunny and Biscuits just came into my head. The title roles off the tongue in an alliteration that I hope Miss Gwen would approve of, and if not it can be Miles and Hen’s crime fighting aliases for when they get a 60s style Avengers TV show. Much like Henrietta I had a cute yet redundantly named duo of stuffed animals when I was little. Hen had Bunny-the-Bunny, I had Big Bear Bear and Little Bear Bear, the little one was obviously smaller, and the Big was added to Bear Bear so that they would both have unique names once the little one appeared on the scene. Therefore, despite perhaps being an easily forgettable fact of Hen’s childhood to most readers, to me it made us simpatico. And that’s where the "Bunny" came from. As for "Biscuits" well, all Dorrington men past and present have a love of ginger cookies, or biscuits as the Brits would say… So the title made itself really, as all good titles do. It was there in the work waiting to be said. And I said it and I won. Yet my greatest joy was to come when reading the story, because ginger biscuits and Bunny the Bunny played an important part. So it felt like the story was written for me. Yeah, I know it wasn’t, but I can pretend. I have always had a deep connection to Lauren's characters, but here...here I felt like every word was for me and I love them all the more as the years pass.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home