Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Resident Alien

Over five years ago it was announced that Syfy was adapting the Resident Alien comic by Peter Hogan. Me being me, I read the first volume and liked the nostalgic vibe of classic television it exuded. It was part Quincy, part Andy Griffith, part X-Files, I was definitely going to be a viewer. Fast forward to now and this adaptation got it just right for my generation, making it a new Northern Exposure wherein Dr. Joel Fleischman is an alien with a Law and Order/Jerry Orbach obsession played brilliantly by the comic genius that is Alan Tudyk. I also love how self-aware they are even including the most wonderful Easter Egg for lovers of Cicely in the season finale; Iris DeMent's "Our Town." But most important to me is that Alan Tudyk FINALLY has a staring vehicle! I have been literally waiting twenty years for this to happen. Of course he's created so many memorable characters over the years from Steve the Pirate to Wash to Noah Werner to Wray Nerely, the list goes on and on and this doesn't even touch the vastness of his voice work! And yet never a starring role. I mean I love Alan so much that I went to see Spamalot a second time on Broadway when he replaced Hank Azaria. He was better than Hank because he threw himself fully into the role. And that's what he does here with Dr. Harry Vanderspeigle. He's an alien who has assumed Dr. Vanderspeigle's life when he crash-landed on Earth. The childlike behavior and potty mouth of an alien trying to blend in among the townsfolk is something only Tudyk could have pulled off. He is Peter Sellers-esque and deserves just as many awards as that great man. Though it's only due to the genius of the ensemble that makes this the best show of the year. Hands down. They bring the human element that is so foreign to Tudyk's amazing performance. The revelation is Judah Prehn as Max, a young kid who can see Harry for who he is. Their interactions are some of the best comedy on television right now. Thankfully this show was renewed for another season because I don't know what I would have done if it was cancelled. I NEED to know what happens next. For like six seasons and a movie.  

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home