Friday, September 3, 2021

The Spanish Princess

Philippa Gregory miniseries are like crack to me. I need them so much it hurts. The White Queen, The White Princess, The Spanish Princess, yes, yes, and yes, I need them so much I can barely handle it. In fact when are we getting a new one? No, I'm serious, I NEED TO KNOW! I also love how we've been following these characters through different iterations and different actors now for seven years! I can't comprehend that it's been that long but it has. While The White Queen might still be my favorite, The Spanish Princess was the only one lucky enough to secure a second season. And while I knew when this series ended we'd no longer get to see Catherine onscreen anymore, but we all know what happened to Catherine so I'm OK with that, because unlike any of the other series this one wouldn't be able to survive recasting. Charlotte Hope is and forever will be Catherine of Aragon. The fact that she's British and not Spanish will probably come as much of a shock to other fans of the show as it was for me. Her accent is perfect, her mighty will in that small, frail, female body, it's like a mouse with the roar of a lion and it is unforgettable. Give this woman an Emmy NOW! It takes a lot to be so central a figure to a miniseries, even if your character is technically the star, when you're surrounded by the cream of the crop of British actors; Laura Carmichael, Andrew Buchan, Ray Stevenson, Harriet Walter, Elliot Cowan, and freakin' Peter Egan to name a few! Yet she holds the focus even while sharing scenes with these titans of the small screen. In fact the scenes with her and Peter Egan as General Thomas Howard are just perfection, and funny, with her being a Catholic and him being someone unrepentant of his foul language except in her presence. But my favorite part of season two was the increased insanity of the Tudors, oddly not exemplified by Henry but by his sister Meg as she tries to rule Scotland. Seeing Georgie Henley, who is famous for playing Lucy Pevensie in The Chronicles of Narnia films, go medieval on the Scottish clans asses was a sight to behold. She was magnificently deranged and worthy of a spin-off. In fact, can we make that happen?   

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home