Friday, August 7, 2009

New West Side Frugal Muse

For the Madisonians who read my blog I have exciting news. The new Frugal Muse opened today! For years Frugal Muse has been hands down the best used bookstore in Madison, and I don't think this is likely to change anytime soon. They have the nicest and most knowledgeable staff, as well as the fastest turnover rate for books, meaning new finds are possible every week. I still fondly recall finding the numbered Penguin Trollope there and hold out hope to one day find the rest, the person who owned the first half has to have the second half and may one day sell it! Their move is still a little bittersweet for me, I loved their old west side location behind Barnes & Noble and next to Westfield Comics. The rambling nature of the store and the feeling you could easily get lost. Their new location next to Old Navy and Target is bigger and sleeker, but I think what makes it work is that the bigger means there's more room for books. So while the old location will still hold a certain nostalgia, the added space for books sways me. If only I could get added space for my books too?

The new location is shaped more like a shoebox and is very logically laid out. The Childrens section seems to be smaller but conveniently located near the registers. But the Young Adult section appears to have expanded, which I am so in favor of. The Mystery and Science Fiction Hardcovers are interestingly nestled within the end of the alphabet in Fiction. The shelves currently have a lot of space left, meaning more books to come! But I think the most important thing about the move being over is that I no longer have my favorite bookstore at half power. The last few months have been depressing seeing the old store slowly being emptied, almost as if they were going out of business. But now that my store is back, all the hours to spend searching the shelves...in fact maybe it's not a good idea the location opened, I have to re-factor in the time suck and the extra shelving needed! Go enjoy perusing the shelves the grand opening is still to come!

Frugal Muse
235 Junction Road (The Prairie Towne Shopping Center next to Old Navy)
608-833-8668
Monday-Saturday 10am-9pm
Sunday 10am-5pm

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home