Saturday, January 1, 2022

A Year in Review

2021. This was a year to escape reality into books more than ever. I took solace in some old series I adore and found some new series that I fell in love with as well. I also have become a dab hand with OverDrive from my local library. But what I missed most is bookstores. I haven't been in a bookstore since early 2019. I want to say February, but it just might have been early March. I can't be sure. There were those few glorious weeks this past summer when I thought about going to a bookstore, but alas, because of half this country we can't have nice things. At least it means that I really saved money not going in for any impulse buys. So here's to 2022. And please, let's not make it 2020 too... I would like to go to a bookstore sometime this year. Until that time, here's what I remember about this past year's reading. And yes. There were a LOT of comics. But my longest and shortest books of the year are a BIG hint on what to expect on my blog this year coupled with Bridgerton season two coming out in March...

1) Mirka Andolfo's Mercy #3 by Mirka Andolfo: As I've said before about individual comics, it's highly unlikely I'll remember each issue. But this is fascinating series that is like if Deadwood was written by Lovecraft.

2) Mirka Andolfo's Mercy #4 by Mirka Andolfo: Also, I thought were were getting a sequel...

3) Mirka Andolfo's Mercy #5 by Mirka Andolfo: Like I thought we were getting it back in February...

4) Mirka Andolfo's Mercy #6 by Mirka Andolfo: OK, there are no updates on Merciless since October of 2020. Sigh.

5) The Portable Dorothy Parker by Dorothy Parker: Dorothy Parker is a genius and this shows the full range of her abilities from stories to poetry to reviews to correspondence. If you want to get an idea of how Dorothy Parker ticks and why she is so revered, this is THE BOOK to pick up.;

6) The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton: I had such hope for this book. I'd been waiting what seemed like forever to read it. Needless to say it was a big letdown. The plot was predictable and very shallow. Will I be picking up the sequel when it's released this year... Yeah, probably.

7) The Dead of Winter (Cora Oglesby #1) by Lee Collins: I've had this book for years and for some reason my mood felt very wintry and I finally picked it up. It's an interesting western come supernatural tale. I don't want to be the person to alert everyone to a twist, but really, it's the twist that makes it more than what it is.

8) Wild Sign (Alpha and Omega #6) by Patricia Briggs: The new Patricia Briggs book is a highlight of every year for me. Sadly not this year. This volume was too triggering for me dealing with so many things I have issues with. So I wanted to love it and was barely able to slog through it.

9) Black Magick: The First Book of Shadows by Greg Rucka: I had read and really enjoyed the tale of Rowan Black with the first two trade paperbacks that were released awhile ago. So when the comic announced that it was coming back I had to re-read the story, but with this lovely compendium with extra stories. Seriously, if you liked Grimm and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, this is like an artier comic of those two.

10) Black Magick #12 by Greg Rucka: The first issue back was a bit of a jump, there seemed to be something I was missing. Also it was too short.

11) Black Magick #13 by Greg Rucka: In fact all of these were way...

12) Black Magick #14 by Greg Rucka: Way...

13) Black Magick #15 by Greg Rucka: WAY...

14) Black Magick #16 by Greg Rucka: Too short. MORE! Seriously, when am I getting more!?! I've had none for all of 2021 for crying out loud! They originally said July 2021 for new issues!

15) She Returns From War (Cora Oglesby #2) by Lee Collins: OK, this wasn't nearly as good as the first. Cora is more the side character, which makes no sense, and the new lead is, how do I say this, just too how men write women badly. I mean, like really badly written. Verging on sexist. I'm not surprised that this was the end of the series and I can find no information on the author after this book at all.

16) The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber: Stupid religious aliens. As in actual aliens. Actually, the aliens aren't nearly so bad as the protagonist. Damn, he had a savior complex, that's for sure!

17) The Secret History of the Pink Carnation (Pink Carnation #1) by Lauren Willig: Oh my. I haven't read this book in so long and am so grateful to Lauren for doing a re-read with special virtual meetings each month. It's reminding me why I love this series. It's funny, it's romantic, it's Regency swashbuckling!

18) The Masque of the Black Tulip (Pink Carnation #2) by Lauren Willig: Though for some reason, no matter how I try, Miles and Henrietta are not really that interesting to me. Extra ironic because I named their Valentine's Day short story for Lauren. Also, sometimes it helps to space books in a series out. Give them room to breath on their own. Of course I'm a serial binger.

19) The House of Whispers by Laura Purcell: OMG, so many things I love. Cornwall! Fairy Tales! A dark, horrific secret! Yes, I don't usually like unreliable narrator stories, but the way this plays out is just too perfect. Easily Purcell's best book to date.

20) The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware: Seeing as I hate The Turn of the Screw it's almost sadistic how I seek out retellings and adaptations. But this was solid. I liked that it didn't just tie into the history of the house but used modern technology to create a more relevant menace. If that makes sense.

21) A Breath of Life by Clarice Lispector: Rambling, incoherent, Frankensteinian.

22) Lore by Alexandra Bracken: While this is about Gods and mortals fighting what I really liked about it was how it portrayed New York City. It really felt grounded in the everyday while still being fantastical. I also like that Bracken got little details, like The Frick being closed for a year for remodeling. This made it seem real. Also nice to have a book that's a standalone instead of the start to a series every now and then.

23) The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club #1) by Richard Osman: I seriously don't get why everyone loved this. It's literally an episode of Midsomer Murders and an Agatha Christie book mashed up with a whole heck of a lot of assisted suicides.

24) Shadow and Bone (The Grisha Trilogy #1) by Leigh Bardugo: I had forgotten how much I adored the start of this series. It's so Russian, so dark, and SO Darkling.

25) Siege and Storm (The Grisha Trilogy #2) by Leigh Bardugo: Nikolai is SUCH a wonderful addition to this world. I love him.

26) Ruin and Rising (The Grisha Trilogy #3) by Leigh Bardugo: It's rare to have a book series have such a perfect ending, but this did. Of course there ended up being more to come...

27) The Tailor (The Grisha Trilogy #1.5) by Leigh Bardugo: An interesting little look inside the horror that was Genya's life.

28) The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic by Leigh Bardugo: OMG, these fairy tales feel instantly classic. Not just because they fit in the world that Bardugo has created, but because they totally stand on their own and in several instances and twists to well known tales.

29) The Lives of Saints by Leigh Bardugo: This book was a genius idea. To actually have the book referenced again and again in the original trilogy to hold in your hands. THIS is the kind of book nerdiness we need more of!

30) Six of Crows (Six of Crows #1) by Leigh Bardugo: The first time I read this book it was too Ocean's Eleven for me. This time I appreciated it far more. Also I still picture Kaz as Tom Hardy. Always will.

31) Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows #2) by Leigh Bardugo: OK, it's been years since I first read this book so I should be over the death of Matthias right? WRONG!

32) King of Scars (King of Scars #1) by Leigh Bardugo: One of the reasons I re-read this series, aside from the Netflix adaptation, was so that I could finally read the new duology. This was very meh. I don't like opening up things I thought nicely closed, AKA, the Darkling. Also, NO Nina, NO getting over Matthias so quickly! Bad Grisha!

33) Rule of Wolves (King of Scars #2) by Leigh Bardugo: OK, so I fee that this duology has a lot of flaws. That being said, seeing all my favorite characters together again on a quest, well, I might have cried more than a little...

34) The Deception of the Emerald Ring (Pink Carnation #3) by Lauren Willig: I don't know why in my memory I somehow discount this third volume in the Pink Carnation series. Because every time I've re-read this daring adventure in Ireland I've fallen more and more in love with it. In other words, I adore this series so so much.

35) Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #6 by Alyssa Wong: Totally don't remember this issue.

36) Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #7 by Alyssa Wong: Actually looking at cover art to see if I can remember... Nothing...

37) Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #8 by Alyssa Wong: Oh, this was when Sana almost died, it was such a fake out.

38) Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #9 by Alyssa Wong: Obviously Sana survived because she's now running on the cover.

39) Doctor Aphra by Sarah Kuhn: This let me down. This was the script from the audio story about Aphra that I didn't listen to because I don't do audio. BUT more importantly, there's nothing new here, this is just repeating Aphra's past with Darth Vader for those too lazy to read the crossovers. PS, I wasn't lazy.

40) Bridgerton Collection, Volume One (Bridgertons #1-3) by Julia Quinn: Oh, I wish I'd read these sooner! But my mom was always really harsh about reading anything labelled as "romance" so I steered clear for years because of her gimlet glare. The first two books are fun and funny and romantic, but Benedict Bridgerton can bite me. And not in a sexy way. In a go die in a ditch way.

41) The Sunken Land Begins to Rise Again by M. John Harrison: A selection for book club that could have been good if it ever developed a plot. It's supposedly about Brexit but is really very Lovecraftian with a heavy dose of stream of consciousness.

42) The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager: I loved the vibe of this book. The whole summer camp/Picnic at Hanging Rock atmosphere was just perfect to read at the start of summer.

43) The Seduction of the Crimson Rose (Pink Carnation #4) by Lauren Willig: Oh Lord Vaughn, you are mortal after all. As in, you have a heart. It might be hard and jaded, but there's at least one person in the world who was able to touch it.

44) Lakewood by Megan Giddings: Very Get Out with a side of The Office. But also tackles heavy subjects about medical experimentation and race.

45) Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons #4) by Julia Quinn: Colin and Eloise finally got their HEA! Also, everyone knows she's Lady Whistledown now! Something I'm sure everyone knew before me because they watched the show right away.

46) Locke and Key: ...In Pale Battalions Go... #1 by Joe Hill: I like this WWI Locke and Key!

47) Locke and Key: ...In Pale Battalions Go... #2 by Joe Hill: Seeing as the keys were created in a time of war, it's interesting to see them in a more modern war.

48) Locke and Key: ...In Pale Battalions Go... #3 by Joe Hill: Damn, that ending packed a punch. Killing your mother by accident and then yourself!?!

49) Locke and Key/Sandman: Hell and Gone #0 by Joe Hill: This little refresh on Locke and Key and Sandman made me realize, once again, how much I don't like Sandman and how I HAVE to stop thinking that I should try to pick up the series again. It's just not for me.

50) Locke and Key/Sandman: Hell and Gone #1 by Joe Hill: Oh, so free little brother from hell with the use of keys? Yes! Brilliant, if risky, plan.

51) The House Of Lost Horizons: A Sarah Jewell Mystery #1 by Chris Roberson: This is like a comic I've been waiting for forever. Nice period details, mysticism, the occult, ALL on a deserted island!

52) DC Horror Presents: The Conjuring: The Lover #1 by David Lesli Johnson-McGoldrick: I still don't really get how this tied into the movie, but I love the fake advertising!

53) V.E. Schwab's ExtraOrdinary #0 by V.E. Schwab: Looks to be another interesting series by V.E. Schwab. She's an author who has successfully brought her worlds to comics, something that rarely works. Seriously, it's very rare.

54) Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #10 by Alyssa Wong: I think this was evil Elon Musk parody issue. It was stupid.

55) Buffy the Vampire Slayer #21 by Jordie Bellaire: No idea.

56) Buffy the Vampire Slayer #22 by Jordie Bellaire: No idea.

57) Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Faith #1 by Jordie Bellaire: REALLY stupid Faith backstory that doesn't make the multiverse idea clear and just leaves you feeling confused. In fact this whole run is confusing, but I think this was honestly the one I hated the most.

58) Andy Warhol by Mª Isabel Sánchez Vegara: I need to STOP READING THESE BOOKS! The details are always wrong, the art is always awful, and they just piss me off.

59) Buffy the Vampire Slayer #23 by Jeremy Lambert: No idea.

60) Buffy the Vampire Slayer #24 by Jeremy Lambert: No idea.

61) Buffy the Vampire Slayer #25 by Jeremy Lambert: Seriously, how can I forget this much?

62) Buffy the Vampire Slayer #26 by Jeremy Lambert: Really is my brain a sieve?

63) Firefly #24 by Greg Pak: I think this was the start of the arc that takes them to Earth that was...

64) Firefly: Blue Sun Rising #1 by Greg Pak: With this issue I don't remember thrown in.

65) Firefly #25 by Greg Pak: Seriously, I don't get why they're messing with wormholes or whatever they are.

66) Firefly #26 by Greg Pak: Going back doesn't feel to me like the story is going forward.

67) Firefly #27 by Greg Pak: When did Washbot show up? That is literally the only part of this series I like.

68) Firefly #28 by Greg Pak: I do kind of like Kaylee as Captain...

69) Firefly #29 by Greg Pak: But she needs to not be looking at Leonard!

70) Firefly: Brand New 'Verse #1 by Josh Lee Gordon: And I SO don't get the purpose of this series. It dwells in the past when I thought it would be more about the next generation.

71) Firefly: Brand New 'Verse #2 by Josh Lee Gordon: Instead it's ironically just about the same stuff as the other Firefly comic.

72) Firefly: Brand New 'Verse #3 by Josh Lee Gordon: Oh, and they're bringing in wormhole whatevers too. WHY!?!

73) The Magicians #1 by Lila Sturges: I remember this as a solid look at different students at Brakebills.

74) The Magicians #2 by Lila Sturges: But what I remember most is that this actually had a message.

75) The Magicians #3 by Lila Sturges: The point was to use magic for good.

76) The Magicians #4 by Lila Sturges: Not just to hoard it like a dragon.

77) The Magicians #5 by Lila Sturges: But to use it to stop things like global warming.

78) Murder She Writes by John Allison: Teen crime solving! Snow! Locked room! Peak John Allison.

79) I Am Not Okay With This by Charles Forsman: Horrid. This book basically tells you pedophilia is OK and that if you're different you should kill yourself. How did this horrible dumpster fire become such a wonderful Netflix series?

80) Firefly: Brand New 'Verse #4 by Josh Lee Gordon: Getting beyond the control of the Alliance, blah, blah, blah.

81) The House Of Lost Horizons: A Sarah Jewell Mystery #2 by Chris Roberson: Could I get this murder mystery at a fast rate? Like an entire ten year run now?

82) The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry: I am SO GLAD I picked up this book because of the miniseries being in production. It's a wonderful combination of natural science and folklore. The characters are wonderful, the setting is Essex is unforgetable, in other words, read this book now!

83) V.E. Schwab's ExtraOrdinary #1 by V.E. Schwab: Superpowers from basically being a flatliner. Though I like that this gives you powers. I should probably read the duology, but my library waitlist is forever. Literally, It's December as I type this and I've been on the waitlist for six months.

84) Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #11 by Alyssa Wong: Bounty Hunter crossovers begin! And yes, I read this one before I knew you needed to read them all. And yes, you do need to read them all.

85) Firefly #30 by Greg Pak: No idea.

86) Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Tea Time #1 by Mirka Andolfo: Cute little whatif stories about Giles.

87) Final Girls by Riley Sager: My least favorite Riley Sager. Too obvious. Too trope riddled. But I think that was also kind of the point.

88) Survive the Night by Riley Sager: A fast read that was once again too predictable. That's why Home Before Dark is his masterpiece so far. While you can see where it's going the atmosphere takes it to a whole other level.

89) The Temptation of the Night Jasmine (Pink Carnation #5) by Lauren Willig: Why are Robert and Charlotte so boring? I mean I want to like them. I just can't.

90) Rules For Vanishing by Kate Alice Marshall: Was hoping for more horror instead it was more Lovecraftian fairy tale.

91) The House Of Lost Horizons: A Sarah Jewell Mystery #3 by Chris Roberson: Seriously, as the bodies pile up one issue is never enough.

92) DC Horror Presents: The Conjuring: The Lover #2 by David Lesli Johnson-McGoldrick: The fake ads are where it's at.

93) Buffy the Vampire Slayer #27 by Jeremy Lambert: The cover tells me Faith and Buffy are fighting, so maybe this is when Giles' mom and the mayor show up?

94) Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters Alpha #1: Director’s Cut by Charles Soule: OK, I will not remember individual issues at all. So in a nutshell, the War of the Bounty Hunters was an amazing arc that was about Boba Fett being robbed of Han Solo in Carbonite, and all the Bounty Hunters coming after Fett because Jabba puts a bounty on his head. But the real reason Han was stolen was to announce the return of Crimson Dawn, the organization Han dealt with in his Solo movie, which is awesome and everyone should watch. So Crimson Dawn wants to flex their muscles and show that the Empire is fallibile. Lots of in fighting among all the different characters happen but in the end Han is with Jabba, Boba gets his payday, and Crimson Dawn is about to start something. And yes. Read all the issue. But in release order. It's on Wookieepedia.

95) Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters #1 by Charles Soule: See above.

96) Star Wars #13 by Charles Soule: See above.

97) Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #12 by Ethan Sacks: See above.

98) Star Wars: Darth Vader #12 by Greg Pak: See above.

99) Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #10 by Alyssa Wong: See above.

100) Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #13 by Ethan Sacks: See above.

101) Star Wars #14 by Charles Soule: See above.

102) Star Wars: Darth Vader #13 by Greg Pak: See above.

103) Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #11 by Alyssa Wong: See above.

104) Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #14 by Ethan Sack: See above.

105) Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky, #1) by Rebecca Roanhorse: I applaud that this is supposed to be about non-white cultures, but maybe make it less of a Game of Thrones ripoff? Oh, and have a plot.

106) Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #12 by Alyssa Wong: See above.

107) Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters #2 by Charles Soule: See above.

108) Star Wars: Darth Vader #14 by Greg Pak: See above.

109) Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters - Jabba The Hutt #1 by Justina Ireland: See above.

110) The Betrayal of the Blood Lily (Pink Carnation #6) by Lauren Willig: India! I love that this is the beginning of taking Lauren's series worldwide! Because France really was into world domination!

111) Tales from Harrow County: Fair Folk #1 by Cullen Bunn: OMG! More Harrow County!?! Be still my heart! AND it's about fairies!

112) V.E. Schwab's ExtraOrdinary #2 by V.E. Schwab: Great powers bring about great enemies.

113) Firefly #31 by Greg Pak: No idea. Something something on Earth that was...

114) Firefly: Brand New 'Verse #5 by Josh Lee Gordon: Whatever.

115) Star Wars #15 by Charles Soule: See above.

116) Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #15 by Ethan Sack: See above.

117) Star Wars: War Of The Bounty Hunters - 4-Lom and Zuckuss #1 by Daniel José Older: See above.

118) Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1) by Patricia Wentworth: For a book in a series about a character named Miss Silver, she's hardly in it. She basically comes in and saves the day at the end. It's a weird mix of The Avengers, Emma Peel version please, and Nancy Mitford.

119) The Case of the Missing Marquess (Enola Holmes #1) by Nancy Springer: Oh, I don't remember much about the movie, but this is SO GOOD! Like Young Sherlock Holmes good! The peril at the end with the Marquess seemed a little too contrived though.

120) The Case of the Left-Handed Lady (Enola Holmes #2) by Nancy Springer: I like how feminist these books are. Enola is here to help a fellow woman in need! Also interesting how societal expectations would force women into people they weren't. Something that is still applicable today!

121) The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Enola Holmes #3) by Nancy Springer: Sinister flowers! I mean it! The malice in a simple bouquet for one who understands the language of flowers can be quite compelling.

122) The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan (Enola Holmes #4) by Nancy Springer: I like characters that I've formed an attachment to coming back. Even if this mystery had a very confusing use of a ha-ha.

123) The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline (Enola Holmes #5) by Nancy Springer: I don't think Nancy Springer likes those with health issues...

124) Buffy the Vampire Slayer #28 by Jeremy Lambert: Oh, no idea, but my rating would indicate that I hated it.

125) DC Horror Presents: The Conjuring: The Lover #3 by David Lesli Johnson-McGoldrick: All about the ads!

126) The House Of Lost Horizons: A Sarah Jewell Mystery #4 by Chris Roberson: More deaths, more mystery, more!

127) The Me You Love In The Dark #1 by Skottie Young: Oh, this has the right vibe. Spooky big house, artist trying to rediscover her art, possible malevolent being!

128) The Nice House on the Lake #1 by James Tynion IV: Damn, this series is coming out swinging. Friends in remote Wisconsin had picked by another friend who is some alien and is saving them from the apocalypse. Let's see this all go to hell.

129) The Nice House on the Lake #2 by James Tynion IV: I like how each issue is from a different POV.

130) The Nice House on the Lake #3 by James Tynion IV: Seriously, I'm a bit worried that he won't keep up the quality. Like The Woods, that rapidly declined, but then again, it was never this good.

131) Gaudy Night (Lord Peter Wimsey #10) by Dorothy L. Sayers: So, years ago I formed a very unfavorable opinion on Dorothy L. Sayers and Lord Peter Wimsey, but everyone said just wait until Gaudy Night. Well, I skipped ahead and read it. It's... Imperfect. Lots of Oxford, but only for those really in the know, lots of characters, like, too many characters, and Lord Peter saving the day. In a story predominated by women. Will I read more? Perhaps... One day.

132) The Mischief of the Mistletoe (Pink Carnation #7) by Lauren Willig: Nothing will ever change the fact that this is my favorite Lauren Willig book. Turnip, Christmas, Jane Austen, puddings, perfection. In fact I might re-read it before the end of December.

133) Away in a Manger: A Very Turnip Wedding Night (Pink Carnation #7.5) by Lauren Willig: Turnip gets some loving in a barn!

134) The Case of the Gypsy Good-Bye (Enola Holmes #6) by Nancy Springer: My main problem with this volume was the title gave away the ending! Oh, and that even to this day the author doesn't realize that gypsy is a problematic word. Though it was a good break in the series which is thankfully continuing!

135) Enola Holmes and the Boy in Buttons (Enola Holmes #6.5) by Nancy Springer: A short and sweet and scary read that ties into The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton, which is how I became obessed with the Victorian era, so a nice full circle experience for me.

136) Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche (Enola Holmes #7) by Nancy Springer: And Enola is back! Of course because I read these all at once I didn't have the years of waiting and wondering. Back into the breech with the feminist themes but this time with a little more help from Sherlock.

137) The Lost Village by Camilla Sten: Ugh. Just. Blurg. Scandi horror that was boring and predictable.

138) The Great Mogul Diamond (The Dopple Ganger Chronicles #3) by G.P. Taylor: Went WAY too religious. I wonder if that's why there were no more books after this one? And yes, I'm not bothered to actually look into it.

139) Firefly #32 by Greg Pak: I like these other new characters but I seriously have no idea who they are.

140) Firefly: Brand New 'Verse #6 by Josh Lee Gordon: And that was it!?! Lame.

141) V.E. Schwab's ExtraOrdinary #3 by V.E. Schwab: Why not go after the people who are hunting you down?

142) Tales from Harrow County: Fair Folk #2 by Cullen Bunn: Priscilla is back! Seriously, if the ONLY thing this comic did was reunite me with Priscilla, it's job is done.

143) Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters #3 by Charles Soule: See above.

144) Star Wars #16 by Charles Soule: See above.

145) Star Wars: Darth Vader #15 by Greg Pak: See above.

146) Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #13 by Alyssa Wong: See above.

147) Deadly Summer Nights (Catskill Summer Resort Mystery #1) by Vicki Delany: This book tried too hard and failed. It wanted to be Gilmore Girls with a huge helping of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, but Vicki Delany just doesn't have the writing chops to succeed. Also, Communism was a red herring! I always quote Clue when given the chance.

148) The Zig Zag Girl (The Brighton Mysteries #1) by Elly Griffiths: 1950s Brighton series recommended to me by Lauren Willig because it has a very Endeavour vibe. And it does! I love the stagecraft of it all, even if this first volume was more about setting up a series than the crimes. Yes, the crimes were good, just obvious who committed them.

149) Smoke and Mirrors (The Brighton Mysteries #2) by Elly Griffiths: OMG! This second volume really stepped up the game. Children kidnapped and murder, Christmas, Panto, it was perfection. Totally reminded me of the second Flavia de Luce mystery, which just happens to be my favorite in that series. I think this one will be really hard to top.

150) The Panda, the Cat and the Dreadful Teddy: A Parody by Paul Magrs: Wonderfully funny and raucous. For anyone who has stuffed animals who talk to them and a wicked sense of humor.

151) The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy: This is the book that Paul was parodying. It's too saccharine for me. Which makes sense as to why it become a bestseller.

152) Buffy the Vampire Slayer #29 by Jeremy Lambert: No idea.

153) DC Horror Presents: The Conjuring: The Lover #4 by David Lesli Johnson-McGoldrick: Making this list made me realize I am somehow missing the finale... Still, it's the ads that are the stars, not the story. Which somehow ties into the movie? Is the girl the one mentioned in passing with the haunted box or something?

154) The Me You Love In The Dark #2 by Skottie Young: Here's a good tip. If you're a drunk artist and you start seeing a creature talking to you and encouraging you and oddly helping you perhaps you're the one who actually needs help.

155) The Nice House on the Lake #4 by James Tynion IV: Such a good series. Seriously, if there was a trade paperback out before the end of the year this would make my top ten. The first is out in March if you're looking ahead.

156) The House Of Lost Horizons: A Sarah Jewell Mystery #5 by Chris Roberson: Wonderful ending. Hidden compartments, faking of deaths, golden age tropes. I WANT MORE!

157) Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters #4 by Charles Soule: See above.

158) Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #14 by Alyssa Wong: See above.

159) Star Wars: Darth Vader #16 by Greg Pak: See above.

160) Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters - Boushh #1 by Alyssa Wong: See above.

161) The West Wing by Edward Gorey: I am delighted that this book has finally been reprinted. When I read all the Amphigoreys a few years back this was one of a few I desperately wanted to own but was out of print and insanely expensive. So yeah for reprints! Also you can see how much this influenced some of the imagery for Twin Peaks. Though I remember when I first read it I thought there was far less people.

162) Jim Henson: The Biography by Brian Jay Jones: OK, so... If you know nothing about Jim Henson, I guess you should read this? Personally I found it lacking in depth and seeing Jim's work gives you a better insight into him than reading this book. Also the author seriously didn't like Labyrinth!?! That's fighting talk!

163) The Orchid Affair (Pink Carnation #8) by Lauren Willig: The thing about The Orchid Affair is is that it shows how much Lauren has matured as a writer. This is just a breathtaking spy novel set in the Regency Era behind enemy lines. You can totally read it as a standalone it's that good.

164) V.E. Schwab's ExtraOrdinary #4 by V.E. Schwab: I think this them breaking into the facility right? Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. Oh, I can correct myself, this was the finale. 

165) Tales from Harrow County: Fair Folk #3 by Cullen Bunn: Damn, we knew the haints were evil, but to force the fairies this way? Not cool.

166) Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #16 by Ethan Sack: See above.

167) Star Wars #17 by Charles Soule: See above.

168) Our Last Echoes by Kate Alice Marshall: I know, I know, I read the first book and was meh about it, but this felt kind of like Twin Peaks, so I gave it a chance. It was really working until it wasn't. Also it was heavily influence by Stranger Things and Stranger Things did it better.

169) The Slaughtered Lamb Bookstore and Bar (Sam Quinn #1) by Seana Kelly: A new Urban Fantasy series I read for Halloween mainly because it's set in San Francisco. But it's solid if a little too heavy handed with the trauma of Sam's past. But I've found that in a lot of Urban Fantasy. You apparently can't have a heroine who wasn't sexually abused.

170) Buffy the Vampire Slayer #30 by Jeremy Lambert: Um, yeah, no idea.

171) Firefly: River Run #1 by David Booher: OK, so this is basically how Simon broke River out of the research lab where they were working on her. It's stuff we've known and also seen a bit of in the movie, so I thought it would be boring. Ironically it's the best of the Firefly comics this year.

172) Batman Vs. Bigby! A Wolf In Gotham #1 by Bill Willingham: Weirdest. Crossover. Ever. Also Batman is being a real dick.

173) Locke and Key/Sandman: Hell and Gone #2 by Joe Hill: So the Lockes made the key to hell in a very interesting and bizarre loop? Holly hell that's awesome.

174) The Me You Love In The Dark #3 by Skottie Young: OK, sign number 37 you shouldn't trust the weird creature living in your house and you should definitely NOT start a relationship with them, they think Love Actually is a wonderful film. God I hate that film.

175) The Nice House on the Lake #5 by James Tynion IV: They FINALLY mentioned there are no mountains in Wisconsin! Seriously, this has been a big mystery I've been wanting solved.

176) Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters #5 by Charles Soule: See above.

177) Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #15 by Alyssa Wong: See above.

178) The Dead Don't Drink at Lafitte's (Sam Quinn #2) by Seana Kelly: I really didn't think I'd like this installment because it was leaning VERY heavily into vampire politics, which are boring as hell, but then it went in about food in New Orleans. Seriously, the food and a gorgon was all it took to turn this book around.

179) The Wicche Glass Tavern (Sam Quinn #3) by Seana Kelly: I liked the handling of the fae, but still too much vampire stuff. VAMPIRES ARE THE LEAST INTERESTING CREATURES HERE!

180) Slade House by David Mitchell: Such a letdown. It really needs to be read as a companion book. It just doesn't stand on it's own. Also, like why get me attached to all these characters that you're just going to kill? Like, they are all dead!

181) Batman Vs. Bigby! A Wolf In Gotham #2 by Bill Willingham: Batman is SUCH a dick.

182) Refrigerator Full of Heads #1 by Rio Youers: Oh, interesting to continue the series with a new concept. Odd that it's like only a year after the previous events of Brody island.

183) Tales from Harrow County: Fair Folk #4 by Cullen Bunn: Kind of a letdown. Real depressing ending. The way they can make it up to me is by writing more.

184) Star Wars: Darth Vader #17 by Greg Pak: See above.

185) War of the Bounty Hunters IG-88 1 by Rodney Barnes: See above.

186) Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #1 by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: With the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina comics coming back I thought it was time to refresh my mind on the original run. And read the few I hadn't read before. Basically what is detailed here is that Sabrina lives with her aunts because he father was punished for mating with a human. She's coming into her power and has to decide if she's going all witch or not. Also there's cannibalism, which is why they live in a mortuary.

187) Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #2 by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: See above.

188) Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #3 by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: See above.

189) Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #4 by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: See above.

190) Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #5 by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: See above.

191) Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #6 by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: See above.

192) Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #7 by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: This one is a flashback to her dad's life and holy hell, this raised all the stakes!

193) Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #8 by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: See above.

194) Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #9 by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: And Sabrina decides to kill Richard Speck so that "Harvey" can remain alive. BTW, it's not Harvey, it's her dad in Harvey's body.

195) The Midnight Library by Matt Haig: Ugh, how did so many people like this? It's pop psychology at it's worst. The only message that mattered was the with time and potential anything is possible. There, now you don't have to read this book!

196) A Marvellous Light by Freya Marske: Yeah, if I know more about the main characters' cocks than I do about the magical system, I think the author has a problem.

197) Firefly #33 by Greg Pak: No idea.

198) The Me You Love In The Dark #4 by Skottie Young: He he, the evil thing is getting possessive. Who could have seen that coming?

199) Chilling Adventures in Sorcery #1 by Eliot Rahal: Wanted to like, but the alternate Riverdale horror tales pale in comparison to how painful it is to watch the show.

200) The Garden Intrigue (Pink Carnation #9) by Lauren Willig: What's odd about this volume is that I was remembering things entirely differently than what actually happened. It was almost like it was a new book to me. So that was really cool.

201) The Blood Card (The Brighton Mysteries #3) by Elly Griffiths: If you have issues with the monarchy, well, this volume of Elly Griffiths series is for you, as it involves an anti-monarchist plot to happen during Queen Elizabeth II's coronation.

202) The Vanishing Box (The Brighton Mysteries #4) by Elly Griffiths: Slightly seedy theatricals, murders down to do nothing more than throw off the scent. Max almost had happiness in his grasp!

203) Now You See Them (The Brighton Mysteries #5) by Elly Griffiths: WTF happened to this series!?! A ten year time jump and it's morose and depressing and just plain awful to read. Not to mention predictable and horrible to women.

204) Star Wars #18 by Charles Soule: Oh, this is the one where Qi'ra looks oddly no longer like Emilia Clarke.

205) Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #17 by Ethan Sack: So Bruce Campbell like borg is now Empire approved?

206) Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #16 by Alyssa Wong: Don't tell the bad people about the scary tech that can destroy galaxies OK?

207) The Nice House on the Lake #6 by James Tynion IV: But HOW can them stop the apocalypse if they memory keeps getting wiped? Also, did they just make a gay character straight so the painters could be a couple?

208) Buffy the Vampire Slayer #30 by Jeremy Lambert: I liked all the alternative slayers, everything else, not so much.

209) Batman Vs. Bigby! A Wolf In Gotham #2 by Bill Willingham: Seriously, Gotham is burning and ALL Batman wants to do is kill Bigby? He needs to get his priorities in order.

210) Refrigerator Full of Heads #2 by Rio Youers: Diving deep into the Norse mythology aspect of the artifacts and I'm loving it! Though dragging June back in seems unfair.

211) The Midnight Hour (The Brighton Mysteries #6) by Elly Griffiths: Yeah... With a single time jump what was once a favorite series isn't. I WANT to like it. It just doesn't work now. The refocusing off Max and Edgar just doesn't gel. It feels like she's forcing things to happen that should be more natural. And DO NOT get me started on this Sam/Max thing!

212) Matrix by Lauren Groff: Stream of consciousness writing about an abbess who protects her women at all cost. Though I have issues, such as inappropriate word usage and ripping off Fingersmith.

213) The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood and Co. #1) by Jonathan Stroud: Another series recommended to my by the fabulous book recommender, Lauren Willig. At first I wasn't sure about this one because it feels Victorian in how the kids are hunting ghosts, while it's set in the present day. So I have worldbuilding issues, which went totally by the wayside when they got to, basically, to a house straight out of the mind of Shirley Jackson. It was AMAZING and oh so Gothic. I instantly checked the next one out from the library.

214) Firefly #33 by Greg Pak: Mal's dog died. I'm pissed. Like it's the only character I really cared about in the new series besides Washbot, who was on the cover and not really in this issue.

215) Buffy the Vampire Slayer #32 by Jeremy Lambert: Slayers unite to kick ass! Oh, and Mr. Trick has shown up.

216) The Me You Love In The Dark #5 by Skottie Young: Lame ending. She should have died too for trusting a creepy voice in the dark...

217) DC Horror Presents: The Conjuring: The Lover #5 by David Lesli Johnson-McGoldrick: OK, so I WAS right how this fit in. Still, kind of lackluster and depressing for a prequel. Read this for the amazing fake ads. Sea Devils!

218) Star Wars: Crimson Reign #1 by Charles Soule: Oh, how I kind of wish the newer trilogy didn't exist, actually for a lot of reasons, but mainly because I want Crimson Dawn to really takeover.

219) Buffy the Last Vampire Slayer #1 by Casey Gilly: OK, this has the biggest potential of all the Buffy comics. Please don't screw it up. I like old and bitter Buffy. I want to know how everything fell to pieces in this alternate universe. In other words, I am SO here for this.

220) Ivy and Intrigue: A Very Selwick Christmas by Lauren Willig: It's interesting going back to this novella after being further along in the series with the readalong, because I almost forget how much I love the original cast of characters. I have new characters that have arrived later in the series that I love, but these were my first loves. Also, I LOVE that Deirdre turns out to be evil!

221) Matchless: A Christmas Story by Gregory Maguire: I forgot I had this book laying about and found it while searching for some other books. It's an interesting take on a bleak classic. The Match Girl still dies, but because of a twist of fate her death leads to a better life for her father and siblings.

222) The Mischief of the Mistletoe (Pink Carnation #7) by Lauren Willig: I fell down a Pink Carnation Christmas rabbit hole. I even re-read the Christmas bits in The Temptation of the Night Jasmine! Though hands down, Turnip is my man. Seriously, can I get him delivered for Christmas?

223) Away in a Manger: A Very Turnip Wedding Night (Pink Carnation #7.5) by Lauren Willig: And once you read The Mischief of the Mistletoe, the story isn't complete until you read the amorous addendum.

224) Campion at Christmas: 4 Holiday Stories by Margery Allingham: This is a major mixed bag, and most importantly the title is misleading because the weirdest and worst written of the tales doesn't even have Campion in it! Plus two stories deal with a bizarre European tradition that between the hours of 11PM and midnight on Christmas Eve animals can talk. At least two of the stories were decent, and one was simply perfect. So for a quick read, the perfect one makes the other three worth it.

225) Firefly Holiday Special #1 by Jeff Jensen: Jayne does A Christmas Carol. It's not very original, but it is sweet. AND it's the first time that the current run and the future run of the comics actually made sense in my mind.

226) Blossoms: 666 #1 by Cullen Bunn: OK, when I heard about this series I was really excited. Harrow County's Cullen Bunn writing for Archie Horror about the Blossoms!?! Well, it didn't work. All my hopes were dashed. One of the Blossom siblings is the Antichrist, and well, nothing really happens with regard to that. They make some people die or go insane, the same sad sacks usually targeted, Dilton, Ethyl, Reggie, and that's it. Nothing resolved.

227) Blossoms: 666 #2 by Cullen Bunn: See above.

228) Blossoms: 666 #3 by Cullen Bunn: See above.

229) Blossoms: 666 #4 by Cullen Bunn: See above.

230) Blossoms: 666 #5 by Cullen Bunn: See above.

231) Night of the Ghoul #1 by Scott Snyder: After the disappointment of the Blossoms, I was leary reading this comiXology original because the art is done by Archie Horror veteran Francesco Francavilla. But it restored my faith in graphic novels. It's spooky, it has more than I hint of the book Baltimore, which I adore by Christopher Golden and Mike Mignola, and it's just got so many wonderful horror tropes used perfectly. A missing and haunted film that spoke the truth about an evil in the world. A man whose life might be forfeit by his obsession to release the film into the wider world. Oh, and total cultists to the uber evil.

232) Night of the Ghoul #2 by Scott Snyder: I seriously can not wait for another issue.

233) Night of the Ghoul #3 by Scott Snyder: I should have waited until they were all released, waiting until January for the next seems cruel torture.

234) Catt Out of the Bag (Inspector Harry Charlton #4) by Clifford Witting: A wonderful golden age detective story that has very heavily influence by Sherlock Holmes but is rife with wonderful characters and big and little plot twists. Sure, I figured out the killer before the murder had happened, but it just worked so well that that didn't bother me.

235) If the Fates Allow: A Short Story by Rainbow Rowell: God, this was shit. I mean. Ugh. It's all about how we didn't get Christmas last year because of Covid so everyone is together this year. You know what, only irresponsible asses are together in 2021. Covid isn't over. Stop this whole "I'm so sick of Covid I don't care anymore." This story could have stuck to it's guns and been hyper aware of Covid, but then skip a year ahead and the leads are hanging out with unvaccinated people and eating. Indoors. Without masks. This is why we're all going to die.

236) The Dagger in the Desk (Lockwood and Co. #1.5) by Jonathan Stroud: Why did the ghost have to target the school library!?! All those poor damaged books!

237) The Whispering Skull (Lockwood and Co. #2) by Jonathan Stroud: Not as strong as the first book, more action, less atmosphere. But I love the characters of Lockwood, George, and Lucy so much that they could just sit around their house all day and I'd be happy. Though once again, there was a heavy disconnect with what the time period is supposed to be. Could it be the introduction of a Mudlark? Yes. Yes it could.

238) All I Want for Christmas is a Dragon by Seana Kelly: Oh, I now ship Owen and George more than ever before. Such a wonderful Christmas tale that also has some wonderful, if bleak, backstory. Can't wait for the next book AND more short stories!

239) Batman Vs. Bigby! A Wolf In Gotham #4 by Bill Willingham: This seems like a whole heck of a lot of work to get one book. And this coming from someone who does a lot for books. Also, is the villain maybe really from Bigby's world? Also, still hating Batman, perhaps a tiny bit less this issue.

240) Refrigerator Full of Heads #3 by Rio Youers: I like the expanding of the mythology. Four artifacts to have godlike powers. Though I wonder who is the real big bad... PS, don't touch June! She deserves to survive!

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home