Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Book Review - J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Published by: Educa Books
Publication Date: June 26th, 1997
Format: Hardcover, 368 Pages
To Buy (different edition than one reviewed)

I like to brag a bit about my mom being way ahead of the curve with regard to Harry Potter. Harry Potter was just starting to get buzz stateside by the fall of 1999 when Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was released, following swiftly on the heals of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets which was released that June in the US. By the time Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was released in 2001 they were having midnight release parties at bookstores and everyone was awaiting the release of the first film, a deal sealed in late 1998. Summer of 1999 my mom spent every minute talking about owls delivery mail and magical ceilings that reflected the night sky. Prepping for displays for her library when school started in the fall our dining room became a veritable owlry. We had so many stuffed animal owls pictures from my 21st birthday have A LOT of owls in them. Thankfully my friends were really good at doing owl impressions so it's a cherished memory. I personally didn't get around to reading the first three books until I got sick over the Christmas holidays. I remember as the new century dawned I was ensconced in my bed reading about "The Chamber of Secrets" and totally understanding for the first time why my mom subjected us to the summer of owls.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home