Friday, December 18, 2020

Book Review - Hilary McKay's Saffy's Angel

Saffy's Angel by Hilary McKay
Published by: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Publication Date: 2001
Format: Paperback, 256 Pages
To Buy (different edition than one reviewed)

Again, leave it to my mom to fall in love with another series that is impossible to find stateside. In fact, despite being an Anglophile myself there's a strong likelihood that the majority of my overseas book purchases over the years have been down to my mom. Once again it's a large rambling non-conventional family and the adventures they get up to, this time in the wake of their grandfather's death and his bequests to the Casson family. What my mom loved most about this series is that all the children are named after paint colors. Or should I say colours because this is a British series? My mom was always going back and forth between books and art and loved when the two commingled. Though what I am most grateful for is that this series didn't come out until long after I was born. I don't think I could be a Saffron or a Cadmium or a Indigo and definitely not a Permanent Rose! It's a very cool concept for a fictional family, but I don't think it would work without a few raised eyebrows in the real weird. But if you want to escape for awhile into a family that you wish you could be a part of, quirky names and all, then start with Saffy's Angel, because this series might just be for you!   

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home