Wednesday, September 26, 2018

The Alienist

In these days of streaming which allow for bingeing having a series that keeps you literally on the edge of your seat for ten straight weeks instead of ten straight hours is pretty remarkable, and yet that is what The Alienist did. Of course, there were times I was tempted to pick up the book by Caleb Carr to get to the bottom of the crimes taking place in New York in the late 1800s, gruesome and ritualistic murders of young male prostitutes, but at the same time I didn't want to muddy the magnificence of the adaptation by comparing it to it's source material. This show combined so many things that I love into one production, a serial killer with a creepy bent like Jack the Ripper, bringing historical fiction to the small screen, but in a way that is believable because it fits in and around actual history, women breaking out of their expected roles, not to mention the depth of the characters with their own personal secrets that inform who they've become. When each episode ended I wanted the next one right away. This show is so fabulous that I think it might be the only show I've profiled this month that has won a coveted Emmy! When they announced just a few short weeks ago that they are adapting the second book in the series, The Angel of Darkness, I couldn't have been happier. I need Dr. Kreizler, John Moore, Sara Howard, and every single supporting character I've come to love from John's grandmother played by the incomparable Grace Zabriskie to the Isaacson brothers. One can only hope that after The Angel of Darkness they find some way to keep this series going, because I don't want, I need more Dr. Kreizler and associates in my life. Perhaps we can bribe Caleb Carr to write a third and forth installment?  

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home