Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Book Review - Patrick Rothfuss's The Slow Regard of Silent Things

The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss
Published by: DAW Hardcover
Publication Date: October 28th, 2014
Format: Hardcover, 176 Pages
Rating: ★★★★
To Buy

Auri spends her time in the Underthing finding balance. She knows all the hidden tunnels and caverns beneath the University. It is a safe place and if Kvothe ever needs a safe space he can come to her, she has prepared for his arrival. She is broken, but she knows by moving the world, ever so slightly, that harmony can come and a feeling of contentment will reign, if just for a short while. Her days have struggles, food that must be found, soap that must be made, places that must be visited, and places that must be avoided. But at the end she knows where she needs to be and he'll come.

Yes, this isn't book three of The Kingkiller Chronicle. I think by now this has been well established and should be regarded as fact that this book isn't Doors of Stone or whatever the final book ends up being called. And you know what? That's OK. Yes, we all long for the final book, but here we get a look into this marvelous world from a different perspective, plus you might just learn to make some soap. To me it doesn't matter that this isn't book three, because this is better. I have always felt a connection to Auri and this book reaches out, and through her story makes a connection with all the other broken people in the world, of which I number.

Auri has always fascinated me. She is a gentle enigma in the greater story arc. Whether she is very important or just another character doesn't matter to me, she is just Auri, or as I see her, the Luna Lovegood of Temerant. You might think that's a crazy assessment, but seriously, think about it and you'll see the comparison isn't far off: the compassion, the innate understanding, being viewed as slightly off, yeah, she's Luna. If you're looking for big revelations for the rest of the series hidden in Auri's story you are going to be disappointed. We get this glimpse of her day to day life in the Underthing, and that's about all. Now you're probably wondering why you should read this if all we do is follow Auri around in her bizarre and hard to comprehend rituals. It's because this story taps into something deeper, a feeling inside us all of falling apart and what we do to keep going. Auri keeps going.

I am OCD, I have been as long as I can remember. I cope. I get along. I get through the day. Awhile back this wasn't the case. Awhile back there was obsessive counting and washing of hands and things had to be done just so and if something was not right I couldn't handle it. This isn't the kind of life I'd wish on anyone where you washed your hands till they bled. But there's something about living with it, with working your way through or finding a way to cope that gives you a greater understanding of other people. You see their pain, you are more empathetic. Reading about Auri I understood it all. I looked at her and saw what I once was and what I could be again. Pat nailed this flaw in us and how we cope to a genius degree. The way Auri keeps her world in balance by feeling what goes where. I just feel this understanding emanating from the book and I contentedly sigh.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home