Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Classics of Horror and Suspense

Every year when fall rolls around I have these lofty ambitions to read only literature that is thematically appropriate for the time of year. I say to myself "THIS will be the year I finally read Dracula!" And just replace Dracula with many other books, Frankenstein, The Turn of the Screw, you get where I'm going with this. With my book club I have been able to work in the horror and suspense genre for the fall months at least a few times now with a little Shirley Jackson, a little non-fiction on ghosts, but still, I want to read the defining books. I mean, there would be no Buffy the Vampire Slayer without Dracula, there would be no partially naked Benedict Cumberbatch writhing on a stage without Frankenstein. So many of my favorite things would not be if not for those authors long ago creating and molding this genre. Yes, maybe I read a little too much about vampires, but so what? It's the time of year for it! Apparently with me the only way to get me to stick to my guns is to make my reading desires into a themed month. So join me this month as I FINALLY read some classic horror and suspense books that have been gathering dust on my bookshelves for too many years. Yes Dracula, this means I'm coming for you!

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home