Friday, September 6, 2013

Author as Sleuth

While by now you have heard from many authors and read my reviews to see that there are plenty of great books out there to appease the beast inside that needs mysteries set during their Golden Age, there is an interesting phenomenon that is occurring within this genre. What I am talking about is an author as the sleuth. Not the one writing the book, no, that is a bit too meta, but that famous authors of the twenties and later, not necessarily even in the detective genre, are now going about solving crimes. The first book I read in this interesting sub-genre was J.J. Murphy's Murder Your Darlings. In this book the witty writer, Dorothy Parker, goes about cracking wise and solving murders. Since then I have kept my eyes open, not just for another J.J. Murphy book, which I always do now, but other books of this ilk. I have stumbled upon both Joanna Challis and Nicola Upson. Challis' books are about a young Daphne Du Maurier, who definitely was of the mysterious writer vein, and Nicola Upson writes about that most famous of Golden Age mystery writers, Josephine Tey. While I'm sure there are more out there that I have yet to discover, I chose two of the authors to profile, sadly the first Tey mystery wasn't set till the thirties, so, like Tey herself, is on the tail end of the Golden Age, and was therefore excluded from this section, though I really recommend them. So, without further ado, I bring you the crime solving exploits of a young Daphne Du Maurier and Dorothy Parker.

And don't forget to check back often as I'll have guest posts from these authors, and don't forget to enter the giveaway. You want free books right?

1 comments:

Excellent post.This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad that I finally came on this website! This for sharing and keep up the good work…
Travesti

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home