Monday, February 28, 2011

Tuesday Tomorrow

River Marked by Patricia Briggs
Published by: Ace
Publication Date: March 1st, 2011
Format: Hardcover, 336 Pages
To Buy
The official patter:
"Car mechanic Mercy Thompson has always known there was something different about her, and not just the way she can make a VW engine sit up and beg. Mercy is a shapeshifter, a talent she inherited from her long-gone father. She's never known any others of her kind. Until now.  An evil is stirring in the depths of the Columbia River-one that her father's people may know something about. And to have any hope of surviving, Mercy and her mate, the Alpha werewolf Adam, will need their help..."

Mercy Thompson book six! Yeah! Just you wait till tomorrow to see how jazzed I am. I'm so jazzed, I'm not even ashamed of using that lame word!

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
Published by: DAW
Publication Date: March 1st, 2011
Format: Hardcover, 1008 Pages
To Buy
The official patter:
"My name is Kvothe.

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.

So begins the tale of a hero told from his own point of view — a story unequaled in fantasy literature. Now in THE WISE MAN’S FEAR, Day Two of The Kingkiller Chronicle, an escalating rivalry with a powerful member of the nobility forces Kvothe to leave the University and seek his fortune abroad. Adrift, penniless, and alone, he travels to Vintas, where he quickly becomes entangled in the politics of courtly society. While attempting to curry favor with a powerful noble, Kvothe uncovers an assassination attempt, comes into conflict with a rival arcanist, and leads a group of mercenaries into the wild, in an attempt to solve the mystery of who (or what) is waylaying travelers on the King's Road.

All the while, Kvothe searches for answers, attempting to uncover the truth about the mysterious Amyr, the Chandrian, and the death of his parents. Along the way, Kvothe is put on trial by the legendary Adem mercenaries, is forced to reclaim the honor of the Edema Ruh, and travels into the Fae realm. There he meets Felurian, the faerie woman no man can resist, and who no man has ever survived...until Kvothe.

In THE WISE MAN’S FEAR, Kvothe takes his first steps on the path of the hero and learns how difficult life can be when a man becomes a legend in his own time."

I met Pat Rothfuss at Wiscon last year. He was really cool and I can't wait to see him again promoting the new Kingkiller book. See George R. R. Martin, books can come out in a timely fashion!

Demon Glass by Rachel Hawkins
Published by: Hyperion
Publication Date: March 1st, 2011
Format: Hardcover, 336 Pages
To Buy
The official patter:
"Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Acher to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?"
New book in the Hex Hall series which looks like tons of fun.

Green-Eyed Demon by Melissa Marr
Published by: Harper Collins
Publication Date: March 1st, 2011
Format: Paperback, 336 Pages
To Buy
The official patter:
"Things to do:

1. Rescue sister.

2. Murder grandmother.

3. Don't upset the voodoo priestess.

The clock is ticking for Sabina Kane. Her sister has been kidnapped by her grandmother, the Dark Races are on the brink of war, and a mysterious order is manipulating everyone behind the scenes.

Working on information provided by an unlikely ally, Sabina and her trusty sidekicks--a sexy mage named Adam Lazarus and Giguhl, a Mischief demon--head to New Orleans to begin the hunt for her sister. Once there, they must contend with belligerent werewolves, magic-wielding vampires and--perhaps most frightening of all--humans.

But as much as Sabina is focused on surviving the present, the past won't be ignored. Before she can save those she cares about most, she must save herself from the ghosts of her past."

I've heard this recommended for everyone from fans of Gail Carriger to Patricia Briggs to Charlaine Harris. I really am going to give this series a try!

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde
Published by: Penguin
Publication Date: March 1st, 2011
Format: Paperback, 400 Pages
To Buy
The official patter:
"This inventive fantasy from bestseller Fforde (The Eyre Affair) imagines a screwball future in which social castes and protocols are rigidly defined by acuteness of personal color perception. Centuries after the cryptically cataclysmic Something That Happened, a Colortocracy, founded on the inflexible absolutes of the chromatic scale, rules the world. Amiable Eddie Russett, a young Red, is looking forward to marrying a notch up on the palette and settling down to a complacent bourgeois life. But after meeting Jane G-23, a rebellious working-class Grey, and a discredited, invisible historian known as the Apocryphal man, Eddie finds himself questioning the hitherto sacred foundations of the status quo. En route to finding out what turned things topsy-turvy, Eddie navigates a vividly imagined landscape whose every facet is steeped in the author's remarkably detailed color scheme. Sometimes, though, it's hard to see the story for the chromotechnics."

Literally one of my favorite books of 2009! Perhaps one of my favorite books ever. Just so inventive and amazing and British. Just go buy it now, really go now. Need more convincing? I will agree with you though that I'm not too sure about this cover... the guy looks like an elephant, though I can gaurantee, no elephants are in this story!

The Spellmans Strike Again by Lisa Lutz
Published by: Simon and Schuster
Publication Date: March 1st, 2011
Format: Paperback, 416 Pages
To Buy
The official patter:
"At the ripe old age of thirty-two, former wild child Isabel "Izzy" Spellman has finally agreed to take over the family business. And the transition won't be a smooth one. First among her priorities as head of Spellman Investigations is to dig up some dirt on the competition, slippery ex-cop Rick Harkey--a task she may enjoy a little too much. Next, faced with a baffling missing-persons case at the home of an aging millionaire, Izzy hires an actor friend, Len, to infiltrate the mansion as an undercover butler--a role he may enjoy a little much. Meanwhile, Izzy is being blackmailed by her mother (photographic evidence of Prom Night 1994) to commit to regular blind dates with promising professionals--an arrangement that doesn't thrill Connor, an Irish bartender on the brink of becoming Ex-boyfriend #12.

At Spellman headquarters, it's business as unusual. Doorknobs and light fixtures are disappearing every day, Mom's been spotted crying in the pantry, and a series of increasingly demanding Spellman Rules (Rule #27: No Speaking Today) can't quite hold the family together. Izzy also has to decipher weekly "phone calls from the edge" from her octogenarian lawyer, Morty, as well as Detective Henry Stone's mysterious interest in rekindling their relationsh...well, whatever it was. Just when it looks like things can't go more haywire, little sister Rae's internship researching pro bono legal cases leads the youngest Spellman to launch a grassroots campaign that could spring an innocent man from jail--or land Rae in it. The Spellmans Strike Again is hands down the most hilarious, thrilling, and moving book in this bestselling, award-nominated series. And it proves beyond a reasonable doubt that Isabel Spellman, no matter how much she matures, will never be able to follow Rule #1: Act Normal."

Yet another of the best book of last year. Grab this one because it's going to be a year till be get Trail of the Spellmans... but at least we have Heads You Lose to look forward to.

8 comments:

EEEEE! I have River Marked and Wise Mans Fear both preordered, but I don't think they're going to get here tomorrow -- I think they're SHIPPING tomorrow. But that's okay, I got them for $10.
Also, I love that cover for Shades of Grey. I have that (different cover) but I haven't read it yet.
Also-also: I think I need to read Hex Glass. I hadn't ever really paid attention to the series too much until I started reading about this one, and it sounds really good.

I know! Tomorrow is I WANT IT ALL DAY! Every book we've been waiting so long for! I gotta go out to my Barnes and Noble to pipck up Wise Man Fear's, Patrick is doing a signing there next Tuesday! As for River Marked, I ordered it from my friends in Huston, so I could get a signed 1st... a little more pricey but worth it! Why can't I just read faster!?!

Signed? Swoon...

I know! I just love me the signed editions. Plus, my friends at Muredr by the Book in Houston, for every one book you buy, they'll get 3 signed. So I've sent some of my Briggs books winging south!

Oh, that is AWESOME!

And they ALWAYS get the best of the best! http://www.murderbooks.com/signings.php

Wow, no joke. I've heard people and authors mention them before.
I'm jealous. I'd love to have a bookstore like that near me. Man, that'd be great.

Totally! At least having them far away means I only buy what I really really want... otherwise it might get really bad. Like, there's the sinkhole where I used to live, the number of books made it sink into the Earth's Crust.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home