Friday, December 31, 2010

End of 2010

Thanks to my friend Kristen at Bookworming in the 21st Century I was led to the Perpetual Page-Turners Blog which had a really cool end of the year in books survey. Well, I really don't think there's a better way to encapsulate my life and year then through the books that shape it. So here I go...

1. Best book of 2010?
I'm going to have to go with Terry Pratchett's I Shall Wear Midnight. Not only was it Terry Pratchett at his absolute best, but he provided a wonderful and sweet ending for my favorite witch ever, Tiffany Aching. But of course, this is a really sadistic question, because there are so many other favorites I had this year, from Lauren Willig to Gail Carriger there are so many books worthy of "THE BEST."
2. Worst book of 2010?
Shannon Hale's Calamity Jack. I'm sorry, it just failed on many levels, most of which dealt the forcing of steampunk into the wild west and ending up more crappy Will Smith Wild Wild West than Firefly awesomeness. Plus it lacked the witty banter of the previous book.

3. Most Disappointing Book of 2010?
Hands down, Mockingjay. Now, I know many of you out there loved this ending, I was not one of them. It felt different and disjointed from the rest of the books with all the characters being annoying a petulant. It's like once Suzanne Collins had no actual "Hunger Games" she lost the structure and therefore the narrative thread of the book.

4. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2010?
Patricia Briggs' Blood Bound. I read Moon Called last year and was not too trilled with it, but I did have the omnibus edition, so I figured, what the hey... and guess what? I loved the second and third book just devouring them in a matter of days. I was surprised by how much fun I had.

5. Book you recommended to people most in 2010?
This is a hard one... I'm always shoving copies of Lauren Willig, Gail Carriger and Elizabeth Peters on people... so I'm guessing that it was either The Mischief of the Mistletoe or Changeless that was the most recommended... but it would be really hard to determine. Oh, and I totally forgot Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey, cause I've been peddling that book as well!

6. Best series you discovered in 2010?
Carola Dunn's Dasiy Dalrymple. Just sheer mystery fluff fun. Reminiscent of Agatha Christie, but a little more modern in sensibilities.

7. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2010?
I had never read anything by Jessica Mitford, Nancy yes, Jessica no. I can't be live how wonderful her biography was and can't wait to read more of her journalism, yes, I just bought it with some of my Christmas money. But I also discovered Carola Dunn, Jennifer Lee Carrell and numerous others that would take many, many posts to give them their due.

8. Most hilarious read of 2010?
No doubt, Lauren Willig's The Mischief of the Mistletoe. Laugh out loud wonderful! Also a great re-read.

9. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2010?
Haunt Me Still by Jennifer Lee Carrell. So good that I actually tried ignoring the air raid sirens for a tornado to keep reading... luckily I came to the happy conclusion that yes, I could read in the basement as well.

10. Book you most anticipated in 2010?
I Shall Wear Midnight. YEARS! I have been waiting YEARS for this book. Thankfully there was no disappointment following, just contentment.

11. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2010?
Sisters Red, which the addendum that the book is a piece of trash. I was fooled once again by the gorgeous cover... damn those cunning graphic designers... oh wait, I'm a cunning graphic designer.

12. Most memorable character in 2010?
Wallace Wells. He is what made the Scott Pilgrim books work. In fact, his notable absence in volumes 4-6 is what I think led to a crappy and unsatisfying ending.

13. Most beautifully written book in 2010?
While I love classics and beautiful writing, they aren't ever really choices in why I read a book. I read for escapism and the lure of storytelling. But I will say that Daphne Du Maurier's Jamaica Inn was wonderfully written, it did not feel dated, and has filled me with her own longing for Cornwall.

14. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2010?
Sarah Waters's The Little Stranger. Mainly because I disliked it completely and yet it will not leave my mind and it's taking up valuable real estate that another book could take.

15. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2010 to finally read?
Daphne Du Maurier's Jamaica Inn... this book screams "MISS ELIZA." This book is so a book that has everything I love in good storytelling and has been sitting on my shelf since High School, yet... not picked up till this year. Shame on me. Daphne, I will rectify this by reading all your other books in a more timely fashion, look I already finished another one this year.

2 comments:

i loved Shades of Grey! brilliant book.

I know! It almost left you wondering, how could someone write something so funny and brilliant. Can't wait for the sequel!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home