Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Hitchcockian Hoot'nanny

You've heard the whispering in the halls. A shifty glance from a co-conspirator. So you've heard the rumors are true? Why would I spread false gossip? I'm turning a year older this month, so therefore I must leave behind rumor and insinuation and proudly declare my age (but only if you message me secretly by carrier pigeon). My birthday, besides being extra cool cause it's on Friday the 13th, is also cool for the fact I share it with a very famous film director. I'm sure you're dizzying with anticipation! Yes, if you didn't get the picture above or the lame joke, I share my birthday with Alfred Hitchcock. Besides being perhaps the best film director ever for suspense he also has a long connection with literature. Many, in fact, almost all of his movies are adaptations of books. Rebecca being the more obvious, as the book by Daphne Du Maurier has fame equal to the movie. But even Vertigo and Rear Window have their basis in literature. I thought it would be fun to read the books and then compare them to the movies for a month long Hitchcockian Hoot'nanny (yes, I did struggle to think up some good alliteration for that, but alliterate I did do.) What will I be reviewing... well, I'm going to do one book and movie combo a week, so that's at least four, and no, I did not do this just to have a Daphne Du Maurier binge, even if that's what it looks like... There will be Vertigo, Jamaica Inn, Rebecca and Rear Window or The Birds (depending if I can find my copy of Rear Window... I know it's around her somewhere, and no, that wasn't a stack of books falling over and burying me alive that you heard!) But besides that, there will (hopefully) be guest posts and of course a giveaway! Drop me a line if you want to participate, or just read and watch along! The more the merrier! Now onto the giveaway...

The Prize:
The Alfred Hitchcock movie of your choice on DVD from Amazon, full list here, or use the widget on the left hand side.

The Rules:
1. Open to EVERYONE, just because you haven't been following me all along doesn't mean you don't matter, you just get more entries if you prove you love me by following.

2. Please make sure I have a way to contact you if your name is drawn, either your blogger profile or a link to your website/blog or you could even include your email address with your comment(s) or email me.

3. Contest ends Tuesday, August 31st at 11:59PM CST

4. How to enter: Just comment in the space below!

5. And for those addicted to getting extra entries:
  • +1 for answering the question: Which is your favorite Hitchcock movie and why?
  • +2 for becoming a follower
  • +10 if you are already a follower
  • +10 for each time you advertise this contest - blog post, sidebar, twitter (please @MzLizard), etc. (but you only get credit for the first post, so tweet all you like, and I thank you for it, but you'll only get the +10 once). Also please leave a link!
Good luck!

12 comments:

is there a bday hitchcock film festival too? or the usual festivities?

While that would be AWESOME, there will be dinner and bowling. Both locations to be decided, but it will be on the 13th!

The Friday the 13th + Hitchcock birthday share... creepy in August.

I have all the du Maurier stories! Hoorah! Now just need to find the Woolrich and the Boileau-Narcejac. I'm thinking the library might have them... maybe.

August 13 will find my in San Francisco getting my check up. I am hoping they tell me I can go back to work!
The Birds scared the heck out of me as a child, for a while I cringed when I saw more than 3 black birds sitting on a wire. The movie was made in Bodega Bay, very close to my home town. I have toured the house and school location a few times. This may be why it is my favorite Hitchcock film.
Happy Birthday to you and the master of suspense!

It was sheer luck that I finally found the Boilea-Narcejac. Glad to hear you're doing better Sarij! You must wonder the streets of San Fran in Hitch's honor after your appointment!

North by Northwest is by far my favorite Hitchcock. I had the great fortune of seeing it on the big screen when the movie theater at Westgate did a classics movies series. There's nothing like a ten foot tall Cary Grant to make you happy. ;)

Also, the kid who plugs his ears before the gun shot in the cafeteria scene is so funny.

I miss Westgate. I loved that Hitchcock festival they had, Rope, Vertigo and North by Northwest, first time I saw Vertigo and Rope, which are both my favorites. Hilldale also screened Rear Window later that year, it was a great time for Hitch on the big screen!

My favorite Hitchcock film is Rebecca because the housekeeper is so creepy. But I already have that on DVD so I'd pick a different movie if I won.

I'm a new follower

sgiden AT verizon.net

omg! what an awesome contest!!! i love alfred hitchcock!!! my favorite hitchcock film is to catch a thief because i love grace kelly and cary grant in this movie!!!

mariannguyen16(AT)gmail(DOT)com

My favorite Hitchcock movie is Rebecca.

+10 Old follower

Ladytink_534(at)yahoo(dot)com

The Hitchcock movie that I always remember is Psycho.

I think the casting was excellent and the story was so unusual for its time. Just look at how many remakes of it there have been and how many similar movies it inspired.

Even after all this time, it can still bring on a cold shiver down my spine.

Carol T

buddytho {at} gmail DOT com

+1 for comment
+2 New Follower

What a great giveaway. Thanks so much!!

+ My favorite movie by him is Shadow of a Doubt just because it's very interesting and Uncle Charlie is a wonderful little villian.

+10 old follower


-Lauren
lauren51990 AT aol DOT com

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home