Friday, June 21, 2024

Book Review - Kate Morton's The Clockmaker's Daughter

The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton
Published by: Atria Books
Publication Date: October 9th, 2018
Format: Hardcover, 512 Pages
Rating: ★★
To Buy

Elodie Winslow works as an archivist for Stratton, Caldwell and Co. Mainly cataloging the detritus of one man's life. But one day she stumbles on something she finds remarkable, an old leather satchel that contains an artist's sketchbook and a photograph of an arrestingly beautiful woman wearing the Radcliffe Blue, an heirloom diamond that has long been missing. Elodie isn't interested in the diamond, even if it would be quite the find, she's interested in a drawing of a house in the sketchbook. For some reason it reminds her of a house her mother used to tell stories about. She finds out that it's Birchwood Manor, an estate in the Upper Thames region. Instead of planning her elaborate society wedding Elodie decides to investigate the mystery of Birchwood Manor. Birchwood Manor was rumored to be built on land blessed by a Fairy Queen because of two children whose lives were saved. The two children are supposed to haunt the house and that is what brought the Magenta Brotherhood to the house in 1862. The leader, Edward Radcliffe, and his muse Lily Millington are the center of a summer of artistic expression. But things take a tragic turn. When Edward's ex fiance arrives she is killed and Lily and the Radcliffe Blue disappear into the ether. Because Lily had a secret past as a pickpocket it's assumed that she and her old partner have run off to America with their bounty. But the past is never as it seems and the house has gone through many hands since then. In 1899 the house became a school that Edward Radcliffe's sister Lucy actually opened. But another tragedy strikes Birchwood Manor when a student dies in a boating accident. In 1928 the house has long been sealed up but a historian gets the right to stay on the property to research Edward and Lily. There he meets a young girl, Juliet, who in 1940 will come to Birchwood Manor to escape the blitz with her three children. But what does this all have to do with Elodie's memory of this house and her mother? Only Birchwood Manor holds the key and it has keep it's secrets close for a long long time.

Kate Morton is an author who in theory should be one of my favorite authors. She writes exactly the kind of books I want to read, but somehow never sticks the landing. I've read all her books out of order, which is fine because they aren't interconnected, but if I sequence them chronologically what amazes me is that as she's developed as a writer her books have greatly improved as evidenced by my reviews. But then came The Clockmaker's Daughter. After The Secret Keeper in 2012 I had really started to anticipate her new books. I started following her on social media and the buildup to The Clockmaker's Daughter had me tingling in anticipation. Seriously, Kate Morton and the Pre-Raphaelites are so in my wheelhouse. I couldn't wait. I was so excited I even picked it as my selection for my book club to read. Now I will say that a confluence of events happened that made reading this book happen under not the best circumstances, but I don't think that would change my opinion of it. The Clockmaker's Daughter is a big step back for Morton. Quirks and ticks that were common in her early books and had been phased out were back. The writing felt immature and didn't have a clear voice coupled with an unwieldy cast of characters. Which leads me to the conclusion this has to have been a trunk book. A trunk book is a book you write and lock in the deepest and darkest of trunks because you want no one to read it because it's that bad. It's you before you understood how to be a writer. But occasionally authors hit a dry spell and their hand is forced by the demands of their agents, editors, and publishing houses. Therefore trunk books can get published. I believe the first time I heard of the official moniker "trunk book" was in the television adaptation of Stephen King's Bag of Bones. And I'm sure King has dug up a few trunks over the years to meet his publishing demands. And I think that is exactly what happened here. Morton isn't the most prolific of authors, she's only published six books, but those six books have a through line in style that is all knotted when it comes to The Clockmaker's Daughter. Yes, I'm sure she tried to polish it up a bit, but it just didn't have any luster. What's more, the Pre-Raphaelites are barely in this book. I was just let down on so many levels by this book and had to apologize to my book club. Thankfully this is something all of us do often so it wasn't a new occurrence.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home