Friday, June 16, 2017

Contemplating the Dismal Rain in a Very Desponding State of Mind

I find it fitting that in a piece that has Fanny as the focus the title, "Contemplating the Dismal Rain in a Very Desponding State of Mind," is derived from a thought of Miss Crawford's. Why is it fitting? Because Fanny is forever trying to not attract notice, trying to erase herself, hence even her bonnet is actually blending into the wall, as is her reticule into her dress. It's only natural that if she was forced to be center stage she'd contrive of some way for it to be pushed on others, hence Miss Crawford getting the naming rights. I find that this scene perfectly captures who Fanny is, she is someone who thinks of herself so little that she would go out into the bad weather for her aunt without an umbrella and then, when offered a kindness by Dr. Grant, try her utmost to reject it as an imposition. She is a sad and relatable character to all the introverts who have more kindness than sense. As for the medium for this piece, I wanted to try something radically different and therefore I chose a paper for the ground that felt much more modern to me. All my medium decisions were based from that background which feels like a swirling body of water and emotion. I then did a light gesso wash over the entire image area and did the work of the figures in marker and pen. What's very intriguing to me is that by taking this looser approach I ended up creating a piece that looks like my mom drew it. In particular her book covers for the We Were Children Then book series that she did. I never thought our styles anywhere near similar, but led by different medium choices than I would normally make, genetics won out.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home