Friday, June 8, 2012

The Bibliophilic Spree

So, it came to my attention, that I might have missed counting three of last month's books... ok, so it was actually only two... apparently I REALLY can't count. so, here I go.

25) Saint Peter's Fair by Ellis Peters - Because these editions of the Cadfael books are so cool, and cheap. Bought at Half Price Books.

26) Leper of St. Giles by Ellis Peters - Ditto. Bought at Half Price Books.

Now onto the purchases of May...

1) The House at Tyneford by Natasha Solomons - Beacuse I'm in severe Downton Abbey withdrawl and was recommended this as part of my cure... even if it's a temporary cure. Bought at Frugal Muse.

2) A Greyhound of a Girl by Roddy Doyle - Beautiful new Roddy Doyle book that I've been waiting to buy, I've been a fan of his since The Commitments. So happy I found it cheap too. Bought at Frugal Muse.

3) The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey - I featured this on one of my Tuesday Tommorrow posts and then I found a new copy at Frugal Muse! Bought at Frugal Muse.

4) The Book of Lost Fragrances: A Novel of Suspense by MJ Rose - The Atria Bus Tour, aka, put four mystery authors on a bus and drive them around the country, came to a bookstore near my house. Sadly I had class... but at least I was able to pick up this book signed... Bought at Book for Murder.

5)* Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris - New Sookie! I was good and told myself that this was my reward for finishing the semester. Of course, I devoured it in a day because of the wait. Loved it! Can't wait for the final volume next year. Bought at Murder by the Book.

*Means it's already been read

6) Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal - A hardcover, because I already own the paperback... I had to get a hardcover because a) she was signing at Murder by the Book and b) I adore this series and need to have hardcovers of them, I know some of you feel the same way! Bought at Murder by the Book.

7-9) The Last Tycoon, Tender is the Night and Flappers and Philosophers by F. Scott Fitzgerald - The final volumes in the goregous deco set released by Penguin. They came all the way from England to be in my library! Bought from Amazon UK.

10)* Introducing Aunt Dimity by Nancy Atherton - Nancy Atherton was coming for a signing and I was thinking of going, so I picked up this little omnibus with the first two volumes of the series. Didn't make it to the signing (yes, sometimes I DO chose sleep over books) but enjoyed the second story very much, the first, not so much. Bought at Amazon.com.

11) The Reincarnationist by MJ Rose - Ditto above, only add on, and this is my book club selection for next month... or this month, because this is posting in June, duh. Bought at Booked for Murder.

12) A Mourning Wedding by Carola Dunn - I finally broke and hunted down the last of the Daisy Dalrymple books on ebay... so hard to find! Why do books go out of print. Bought on ebay.

13) A Hero for Wondla by Tony DeTerlizzi - Because a) totally needed the new book and b) signing at Murder by the Book so signed copy, score! Bought at Murder by the Book.

14) The Pursuit of Lucy Banning by Olivia Newport - No one should give me vouchers for Amazon... because there's only one thing I'll buy... well, ok, occasionally a DVD, but almost always books. This was again a Downton paliative. Bought at Amazon.com.

15) Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk - This looked like a fun Urban Fantasy series that is endorsed by Patricia Briggs, whom I adore. Also set in Portland, a place I very much want to visit. Bought at Amazon.com.

16) Murder on the Flying Scotsman by Carola Dunn - Almost there! Almost all Daisy books! Bought on ebay.

17) The Case of the Murdered Muckraker by Carola Dunn - So close, I can taste it! Bought on ebay.

18) Die Laughing by Carola Dunn - YES! Final one in and done! Now time for some reading! Bought on ebay.

19) Teeth: Vampire Tales edited by Terry Windling - Because who could pass up a collection with stories by Neil Gaiman and Melissa Marr? Espcially when it's on sale! Bought at Frugal Muse.

20) Dandy Giliver and an Unsuitable Day for Murder by Catriona McPherson - Downton plaiative. Bought at Frugal Muse.

21) Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe - I have been wanting this book for years but have never found a good copy. Enter Frugal Muse and the Memorial Day sale. Bought at Frugal Muse.

22) The Janus Affair by Pip Ballandtine and Tee Morris - For Steampunk Summer... more info coming soon. Bought at Barnes and Noble.

23) Rogue Angel: Magic Lantern by Alex Archer - Ok, so I usually don't buy books that are like 30 some books into a series I haven't read... but this one looked so good and I didn't want to read the other 30... at least not yet. Bought at Barnes and Noble.

24) Nightshifted by Cassie Alexander - Because shifters and a new Urban Fantasy book are guilty summer pleasures. Bought at Barnes and Noble.

25) Aunt Dimity's Good Deed by Nancy Atherton - Because it's the third book, and after the first two I'm not sure if I'll stay or desert Aunt Dimity... but it was signed stock, so cool. Bought at Barnes and Noble.

Note on the bookstores:

Amazon.com - because sometimes, more often that not, your local Barnes and Noble didn't stock that ONE book you where looking for, and having prime means everything shows up so fast!

Barnes and Noble - the last big chain in the Midwest that everyone knows and loves or loathes accordingly.

Booked for Murder - Not to be confused with Murder by the Book in Houston. They're a local store that specializes in murder mysteries. It has changed hands many many times since it's opened, but I really like the current owner, she really knows her stuff!

Ebay - because sometimes you break down in trying to find that last book in that out-of-print series and all used bookstores have come up empty, so you turn to Ebay in your desperation.

Frugal Muse - local Madison, Wisconsin chain with two stores in town which sells both old and new books at wonderful prices (at a really steep discount for new books too) and is easily my favorite bookstore.

Half Price Books - chain store of used books where you can often get amazing deals, but whose prices are not quite half off anymore since they decided to raise their prices in a bad economy.

Murder by the Book - the best bookstore in the world! They're in Houston, Texas and have tons of amazing events and for every book you buy they'll let you send in three books to get signed. Love you all!

3 comments:

You have an interesting site. I saw on Lauren's page that liked A Discovery of Witches. I checked the Overdrive catalog at 2 libraries, both had more than 60 holds! Found it in a large print at my local. I'm looking forward to reading it.
I loved the Jubilee coverage. It was bittersweet for me, because I lived in London for many years in the 90's.
Miss it so very much.

So jealous that you got to live in London! A Discovery of Wicthes is quite quite fun... in fact, makes me not want to have to work and just read! I have a feeling the book has so many holds because the sequel is coming out in a few weeks here!

The Reincarnationist has now been read and I suggest avoiding it, but The Janus Affair was awesome, but pick up the first book in the series first...

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home