Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Bibliophilic Spree

1) Steampunk Sourcebook - Because I really wanted some Steampunk clipart from Dover to make my "Steampunk Summer" logo... and I did (nods head to the side so you'll look at the lovely new logo). Bought at Amazon.com

2)* Wild by Cheryl Strayed - I have a book club! FINALLY! And one that meets in person. It's been a long held dream and is finally coming true! YEAH! This is our first selection. While, it doesn't really look like a book I would normally pick up (not really a non-fiction reader, and it's about a hiker's "personal journey"), I am excited to have book people to talk to. Bought at Barnes and Noble.

* Means it's already been read

3) Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris - Because I'm a weird weird person and need my Sookie books in hardcover and paperback... because paperbacks are easier to read and all my hardcovers and signed 1sts, so once I read them, they have their own sacred space on the shelf. Bought at Barnes and Noble.

4)* Glamour in Glass by Mary Robinette Kowal - Because I've been DESPERATE to read this book since I read the first book in the series earlier this year. DESPERATE I TELL YOU (like checking ebay and amazon and bn.com to see if there was any chance they had copies that where shipping early desperate.) Bought at Barnes and Noble.

5) A Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont - It's like Lost in Austen but with Jane Eyre! Bought at Barnes and Noble.

Now comes the section of books I thought was going to be insanely long because I went to the RT Convention! It's a room, the size of a football field filled with authors and books, how could I get out of there without dropping a serious amount of cash... oddly enough because I had brought so many books (last unofficial count, some 60+ where signed) I only bought five! I know! I'm as shocked as you are... only five! Also, of those, I only really remember picking up four of them, more deatils to come below. In fact, I almost spent more on t-shirts that on books... I could pass up the t-shirt with Jane Austen wearing the David Bowie Aladin Sane lightning bolt or a cute one with birds.

6) The Selection by Kiera Cass - This was a major coup! The RT Convention was two weeks before the drop date of this book, so I didn't think there was a chance of getting it. My friend Marie and I desperately wanted to get this book, so the first thing we did after we where released into the room was run the whole length of the ballroom, with luggage, to YA Alley... it SO paid off. Kiera Cass was there with only ten copies of her new book. Only ten! There where hundreds, maybe thousands, of people in this room, and Marie and I where two of the ten. Sqwee! Hunger Games meets beauty pageant, with some serious cover lust. Bought at Romantic Times Convention.

7) White Witch by Trish Milburn - This was a book I didn't have a copy of and couldn't find a copy of before the convention so I was so happy that the author had the book I was looking for, seeing as sometimes the authors peoples send an odd assortment of their books, like only later books, not earlier books, or sometimes even only one book. Bought at Romantic Times Convention.

8) Definitely Not Mr. Dary by Karen Doornebos - I had been recommended this book by my friend Jess and as it turned out, my friend Marie wanted to pick up a copy to, so this was a must stop author. Not only was I uber excited to get a mint signed copy, but Karen was so nice! Turns out she went to the UW-Madison just like me! We talked for awhile about the ever increasing expansion of the UW and I told her about all the new buildings and plans for the future. So nice! Can't wait to read this book, espcially because she's working on the sequel! Bought at Romantic Times Convention.

9) The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong - This is the book I don't remember picking up. It was the last five minutes of the convention and I was trying to hit about twenty authors at once (in the last 15 minutes I met Kelley Armstrong, Stephanie Perkins, saw Rosemary Clement-Moore out of the corner of my eye, Rachel Caine, Leanna Renee Hieber, Mari Mancusi, Melissa Marr, Richelle Mead, Saundra Mitchell, Alyson Noel, Carrie Ryan, Ilona Andrews, J.A. Konrath, who was drunk, Kimberly Derting, and Bree Despain, if I am correct, that means, I saw a new author a minute!) So I was getting my books signed by Kelley Armstrong and my friend Marie was trying to make Melissa Marr not run off, so as soon as Kelley was done, I grabbed my books and ran to Marr... not realizing I grabbed a copy of The Gathering at the same time. Funnily enough, I had wanted to buy a copy but thought I hadn't... sometimes being a little spacing pays off! Bought at Romantic Times Convention.

10) Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber - I was hoping she'd have some of her adult series, but no, in fact she had only this one book left, so I had the honor of being the official last person to get a book from her! Bought at Romantic Times Convention.

11) City of Ravens by Boria Sax - It has an awesome cover and ever since I read the first book by Deanna Raybourn, I have been interested in the history of The Tower of London's ravens and this book looks to cure that need in me. Bought at Frugal Muse.

12) Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers - Because I needed a hardcover of one of the best books I read last year! I have the wonderful ARC that Robin sent me and I devoured, but I always need the "final" book as it where, and this was in mint condition and calling to me. Might have to re-read it soon.... Bought at Barnes and Noble.

13) Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore - It's about impressionists and Van Gogh. That's all I needed to buy this book... the pretty color pictures and a goregous map of Paris as the endpapers made it a even greater need. Bought at Barnes and Noble.

14) The Unseen Guest (The Incorigible Children of Ashton Place Book 3) by Maryrose Wood - Newest installment in this series, plus, she was doing a signing in Houston at my favorite bookstore, so signed copy, woot woot! Bought at Murder by the Book.

15) Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson, aka The Blogess - Signed copy! Yeah! I was sad to see that the Midwest was getting no love from The Blogess on her book tour, but luckily, my favorite bookstore pulled through for me. Bought at Murder by the Book.

16-19)   Tales of the Jazz Age, This Side of Paradise, The Beautiful and Damned, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - Because I had to have the complete set! When I was at Barnes and Noble picking up Sacre Bleu, I finally saw these books in person and realized that I had to have them. Goregous deco designs and foils. Adore! Bought at Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.

20) The Diary of a Dr. Who Addict by Paul Magrs - Because Paul was having a sale of all his extra author copies and I couldn't miss the chance to pick up a few of his books I needed, plus get them signed to boot! Bought from Paul Magrs.
21) Aisles by Paul Magrs - Ditto.

22) Twelve Stories by Paul Magrs - Ditto ditto.

23) The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman - So many of my blogger friends have be raving about this book, and then I found it new half price at Frugal Muse. FATE I SAY! Bought at Frugal Muse.

24) The Uninvited Guests by Sadie Jones - This has been on my "to-get" list for some time. Birthday party at a rural estate in ruins, yes please! Bought at Barnes and Noble.
Note on the bookstores:

Amazon.com - because sometimes, more often that not, your local Barnes and Noble didn't stock that ONE book you where looking for, and having prime means everything shows up so fast!


Barnes and Noble - the last big chain in the Midwest that everyone knows and loves or loathes accordingly.

RT Convetion - The Romantic Times Convention is the biggest book convention of romance authors. They hold it in different locations every year, but often in Chicago. It's very pricey to go, and for years I'd been hoping they'd open up their authors signing to everyone, and apparrently last year was the first time. For $5 I had so much author access, the three house zoomed by. As always, I think seeing Lauren Willig was a major highlight.


Frugal Muse - local Madison, Wisconsin chain with two stores in town which sells both old and new books at wonderful prices (at a really steep discount for new books too) and is easily my favorite bookstore.


Murder by the Book - the best bookstore in the world! They're in Houston, Texas and have tons of amazing events and for every book you buy they'll let you send in three books to get signed. Love you all!

3 comments:

i definitely want to read glamour in glass and the uninvited guests too! enjoy!

You will not be let down with 'Glamour in Glass' it was awesome! I totally plan on enjoying 'The Uninvited Guests' as soon as this semester of school is over... sigh.

Deadk Reckoning and The Uninvited Guests have now been read, and both where pretty gosh darn good!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home