Friday, April 6, 2012

The Bibliophilic Spree

1)* Fair Game by Patricia Briggs - The 3rd book in Patricia Briggs Alpha and Omega series, which is a spin off from the Mercy Thompson Books. Also this was the first time in Hardcover! I have waited a year for this book and it didn't disappoint, but I read it too fast and now have to wait a year for the new Mercy and possibly two years for the new Alpha and Omega, sigh. Bought at Barnes and Noble.

* Means it's already been read

2)* Chi's Sweet Home Vol. 8 by Kanata Konami - The next best thing to having a cat is reading these sweet tales about the kitten Chi and her adventures. This one had and awesome sequence about how a cat always lands on her feet and the first time with the collar that turns pets into looking like satellite dishes with legs. Bought at Amazon.com.

3)* Soulless Manga Vol. 1 by Gail Carriger - Very pleasantly surprised how it translate the book. Despite being Vol. 1, it covers all the book Soulless, so yeah! All the characters are well drawn and unique, and it was a quick fun read. I almost wish it was all in color, like the beginning of the book. Also, I swear that the Loontwills house is the house from Upstairs Downstairs, the look is just right. Bought at Murder by the Book, and they got it signed for me!

4) How to Be Death by Amber Benson - Yes, Tara from Buffy is a writer! Also, totally got this signed thanks to my Houston peeps. Bought at Murder by the Book.

5) Jane Bites Back by Michael Thomas Ford - So, I had heard about the newest book in this series, Jane Vows Vengeance, but I didn't know it was a series. Jon at Murder by the Book was sure I'd love them, so I ordered all three because the author was signing at the store! Bought at Murder by the Book.

6) Jane Goes Batty by Michael Thomas Ford - Ditto above.

7) Jane Vows Vengeance by Michael Thomas Ford - Ditto above.

8) Out of Sight, Out of Time by Ally Carter - The newest Gallagher Girls book, found before release date at a favorite bookstore. Bought at Frugal Muse

9) Death and Victoria Dock by Kerry Greenwood - If you read last month's post, you will have read about my excitement over finding all those Phryne Fisher mysteries... well I found another one I needed! Bought at Frugal Muse.

10) Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire - I got to meet Seanan at WisCon last year and her new book looks like kick ass fun. Bought at Barnes and Noble.

11) Death of an Expert Witness by PD James - Because I love me some mystery, but even cooler, this book is the last book I needed in the earlier James books where all the covers are cool and match. I just hate when they change size/cover design half way through a series of books. It's a series, make them look like one, sheesh. Bought at Half Price Books.

12) The Scapegoat by Daphne Du Maurier - I was over the moon at this find! I've been trying to get all the Virago Daphne Du Maurier books, which, when you're trying to pick them up used because they are pricey, is hard. New they are too pricey, and the US has never published more than a few of her more popular titles. Also, the fact that she might be under mystery or fiction or "D" or "M" depending on the store... even if they are IN the store, you might not find them. For future reference for people who own bookstores, she's filed under "D" and probably fiction, but you could make an easy argument for Mystery, so I'm down with that. Bought at Half Price Books.

13) A Bride's Story Volume 3 by Kaoru Mori - I first heard about Kaoru because of her manga series Emma, which I quite enjoyed. I think I might have actually enjoyed the author's little afterwards which are very funny and self-deprecating even more. Last year A Bride's Story started, which is quite different, being about the 19th century Silk Road versus and Upstairs, Downstairs like situation with lots of maids and servants. The first two volumes really hooked me and am so excited that the next volume is finally out! Bought at Amazon.com.

14) Trail of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz - The newest installment by Lisa in one of my most favorite series ever. I wasn't able to go to the signing, but called the bookstore and got a signed copy delivered direct to my door. Yes, independent bookstores are that awesome, and they need and want you business! Bought at Centuries & Sleuths Bookstore.

Ok, and here's where my being goodish ends... The RT Convention in Chicago for the first time ever (that I've heard about) is letting people who aren't going to the convention come to the signing, oh... this is bad, 300+ authors, many of which I adore, some of which I've been meaning to read. In advance of this, I went on an Amazon crazy shopping spree to fill in the gaps moving books from my "to-get" shelf to my "to-read" shelf... sigh, one does try to be good and ones does fail horribly.

15) Dark and Stormy Night by P.N. Elrod - RT Convention. Bought at Amazon.com.

16) Must Love Hellhounds by Charlaine Harris - Because the SOokie Short Story Book doesn't have the Sookie-verse non-Sookie stories in it. Also RT Convention. Bought at Amazon.com.

17) The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox - A talking doggie, I'm in! RT Convention. Bought at Amazon.com.

18) Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost - RT Convention. Bought at Amazon.com.

19) The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley - RT Convention. Bought at Amazon.com.

20) Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah McLean - Because EVERYONE keeps telling me to read it and RT Convention. Bought at Amazon.com.

21) Faery Tales & Nightmares by Melissa Marr - How excited am I to meet Melissa Marr? VERY! RT Convention. Bought at Amazon.com.

22) The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell - RT Convention. Bought at Amazon.com.

23) Some Girls Bite by Chole Neil - Because I should have read about vampires in Chicago years ago... RT Convention. Bought at Amazon.com.

24) Magic Lost, Trouble Found by Lisa Shearin - RT Convention. Bought at Amazon.com.

25) Embers by Laura Bickle - RT Convention. Bought at Amazon.com.

26) Ill Wind by Rachel Caine - Because I love me some weird weather and RT Convention. Bought at Amazon.com.

27) The Girl Who Was on Fire by Various - Yeah for a book about other people who love The Hunger Games! RT Convention. Bought at Amazon.com.

28) English as a Second Language by Megan Crane - RT Convention. Bought at Amazon.com.

29) The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross - Yeah steampunk and RT Convention. Bought at Amazon.com.

30) Goodnight, Mr. Holmes by Carole Nelson Douglas - Did anyone else know about this series about Irene Adler from Sherlock Holmes? Sounds awesome. RT Convention. Bought at Amazon.com.

31) Elegy for Eddie by Jaqueline Winspear - Yeah new Maisie Dobbs! Yeah Murder by the Book for getting it signed to me! Bought at Murder by the Book.

32) The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin - Because I'm Downton desperate and everyone says this is like Downton and then it was at Frugal Muse so I thought it was fate! Bought at Frugal Muse.

33) Renegade Magic by Stephanie Burgess - Because I'm a sucker for Regency England and Magic! Bought at Barnes and Noble.
Darnit, almost had the same number of books as days... sigh. I swear I'll be better next month...

Note on the bookstores:

Barnes and Noble - the last big chain in the Midwest that everyone knows and loves or loathes accordingly.

Amazon.com - because sometimes, more often that not, your local Barnes and Noble didn't stock that ONE book you where looking for, and having prime means everything shows up so fast!

Murder by the Book - the best bookstore in the world! They're in Houston, Texas and have tons of amazing events and for every book you buy they'll let you send in three books to get signed. Love you all!

Frugal Muse - local Madison, Wisconsin chain with two stores in town which sells both old and new books at wonderful prices (at a really steep discount for new books too) and is easily my favorite bookstore.

Half Price Books - chain store of used books where you can often get amazing deals, but whose prices are not quite half off anymore since they decided to raise their prices in a bad economy.

Centuries & Sleuths Bookstore - An all mystery bookstore in Forest Park, Illinois that I really have to get to one of these days, it looks so cool!

1 comments:

The Bride's Story Volume Three was wonderful, and I can not wait for the next one... yes, I'm impatient.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home