Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sartorial Sundays

"Steampunk is not a whim, girl, it's a way of life. It is a vast wardrobe commitment!" Those words from this past season of The Guild could not be truer. This past November when I went to my first Steampunk convention, I knew I would have to bring it, sartorially speaking. I at least knew that much of the genre and didn't show up in a t-shirt and jeans, or some half-assed, ill conceived costume, because I knew that that wouldn't fly. Just google Steapmunk and you will see what I mean about the fashion commitment people bring to this genre. I knew what Steampunk expected of me and I knew that I needed to deliver. Personally, I relished the idea! I really have a williness and tendancy to dress up for any occasion. I am the girl who, come December, will be dusting off my cloak and applying my elf ears for The Hobbit. I did it for the past three Lord of the Rings movies, and I will do it again! I dressed up for the Harry Potter book releases, and I'm not saying, just a house scarf, I'm saying, I made myself a full school uniform! Prefect badge and all!

My first Steampunk convention was just the natural progression of my love of dressing up and my crafty nature. As in crafts, knitting, sewing, not in the evil villian sense... though, now that you mention it... ok, let's just say I can be both, but this is only applying to the hands on work at this stage with needles and threads. Each Sunday for the duration of Steampunk Summer, I am going to recount how I came to my first Steampunk costume of choice and how I sourced or made everything, following which I will go into my new costume, or perhaps costumes for this years convention, we'll see how much time I have between now and Novemeber... I will be graduating school in December, so everything needs to be done sooner rather than later. I would also love for you to share your stories about Steampunk costumes and how you went about making them, so lets get the discussion going! Sartorial Sundays are now open for business!

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home